Russian & Chinese Involute Gear Cutters On Ebay

First set of cutters arrived today.

IMG_1953_zpsaepy49nn.jpg

I do have a couple of small B&S cutters that appear to be unused. Comparing the two:
  • The B&S has 12 teeth and the Import 14
  • The B&S has a 7/8" bore, the Import 22mm
  • I believe the B&S has the depth of cut stamped on it (.180"), the import does not. No paperwork with the cutters, not quite sure if this is standard value or not.
  • The engraving on the import does not look very deep. I will need to give some thought to how I keep track of these if the markings wear off.
  • As mentioned elsewhere the B&S #1 is 135 to rack and the import #1 is 12-13 teeth. I think I will be able to not confuse the cutters and find the correct one for the job.
  • I will not be able to sharpen the import as often as I can the B&S, but I don't plan on living long enough for that to be an issue.
IMG_1968_zpsfxjbgyle.jpg

The import tooth grind:

IMG_1960_zpsgfdzwcih.jpg

The B&S tooth grind:

IMG_1966_zpszknrlclx.jpg

The grind shaping the tooth and tooth face seem to have the same quality. At least as far as the roughness.

Unfortunately I have to turn an arbor to use these with my milling machine. So I will have to provide an update on how they cut at a later date.

I also ordered some cutters from another vendor that appear to come from a different factory. Those were even less expensive. I will provide some pictures when they arrive.

Last edited:
Hi omni,

Thanks for sharing your experiences here.
I have been considering buying some gear cutters too, so it's good to have some first hand feedback.

I'd be interested to know the second vendor too, if the quality is okay.

Since those two cutters have such different key widths, you'll either need
  • two arbours,
  • one arbour with two keyway slots, or
  • one arbour with a wide slot and a "stepped" key
I have heard of other horizontal milling cutters used on an arbour without a key, just using the compression of the spacers and nut to hold the cutter. It adds a bit of safety as the cutter can spin before something gets broken. I dunno if that approach is suitable here, I guess material, depth of cut and feed rates all play into it.

-brino

The B&S is 7/8" bore and the Import is 22mm (I edited the post to reflect that) . That is why I need a new arbor.

One of the reasons I purchased the other set of cutters where I did was they they had a 22mm bore instead of a 20mm or 16mm as I found from other sources. I would prefer to minimize the number of arbors I build.

The Horizontal arbor on my Hardinge UM does not have a keyway. Evidently they thought a keyway was not needed.

On 10/26/15 I ordered three more sets of involute cutters: M1.25, M1.00 and M0.50. I ordered these to go with my DP16 set as they are basically DP20, DP25 and DP51. Another motivation was that they all had 22mm bore so I could use them all on the arbor I am making.

These cutters were very cheap. The three sets with shipping from China came to $178.15. I was not quite sure what to expect. I anticipated a long wait as the estimated arrival times were 11/6 to 11/21. They arrived on yesterday on 11/2, a week after I ordered them.

These did not arrive in a nice box like the first set.

IMG_1977_zpsf7wvdbl8.jpg

It looks like they all came from the same factory, but with a wide variety of packaging. Perhaps these are remnants of other orders assembled to create full sets?

The first problem was that the M0.5 cutters seemed pretty small to have a 22mm bore. Sure enough, they have a 16mm bore. I have initiated a return via ebay.

I unwrapped the other cutters and got them ready for a bath.

IMG_1988_zpsrds0voc2.jpg

For the most part they cleaned up pretty good. Grinds look as good as the others although the markings are a bit weaker.

IMG_1990_zpsxfcpjcwq.jpg

IMG_1991_zpsdyx0r5gq.jpg

Two of the M1.0 cutters did not look too good. Both showed signs of inclusions in the blanks from which they were cut. One cutter had some minor pitting that I would probably let slide if not for the second one. This one has some pretty bad pitting that is on some of the important cutting faces.

IMG_1994_zpsqrkrg7yr.jpg

IMG_1993_zpsill6yudy.jpg

I have contacted the seller about replacing these two cutters, or the entire set.

The 22mm arbor is coming along pretty good. I will post updates when I can use the cutters and about the return process.

Good grief!!! Looks like a horrendous case of tooth decay!

I had a set of Chinese cutters I ordered arrive today. DP20, 14.5 P.A., 16mm bore.
IMG_0072.jpg

After unwrapping
IMG_0073.jpg

No major problems with them but there is no doubt that they are not the same quality as the one American made cutter I have. Some minor corrosion or inclusions in the base metal but nothing that effects the cutting edge like Omni's photos. And as mentioned by others the identification on them is a bit light,
IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

All in all I think they will do fine for the low volume of gear cutting I'm planning to do.

Last edited:
My experience with the Chinese and russian cutters is similar to others. The russian cutters and hobbs I have ordered have been excellent quality. I'm sure they are new old stock. Some of them have had minor surface rust which isn't a problem except when you polish the rust off the laser engraving goes too. The Chinese cutters and hobbs I have received have been of acceptable quality and unfortunately I can buy a complete set of Chinese cutters for less than the cost of one made in USA. I like the Chinese and russian hobbs too, $40 delivered for a dp 10 14 1/2 pa hob.
-Brian

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

On 10/26/15 I ordered three more sets of involute cutters: M1.25, M1.00 and M0.50. I ordered these to go with my DP16 set as they are basically DP20, DP25 and DP51. Another motivation was that they all had 22mm bore so I could use them all on the arbor I am making.

These cutters were very cheap. The three sets with shipping from China came to $178.15. I was not quite sure what to expect. I anticipated a long wait as the estimated arrival times were 11/6 to 11/21. They arrived on yesterday on 11/2, a week after I ordered them.

Two of the M1.0 cutters did not look too good. Both showed signs of inclusions in the blanks from which they were cut. One cutter had some minor pitting that I would probably let slide if not for the second one. This one has some pretty bad pitting that is on some of the important cutting faces.

I have contacted the seller about replacing these two cutters, or the entire set.

The 22mm arbor is coming along pretty good. I will post updates when I can use the cutters and about the return process.

I believe that I owe you a big "thank you". Judging from the size and the price I also ordered a set of gear cutters from the same seller as you. On Tuesday I got an email from the seller saying that there would be a delay shipping them because of quality issues. I mentioned it in this thread:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/i-finally-caught-a-deal.39719/

They said I could wait for their next shipment or get a refund. As I said in the above link I didn't answer right away. The next morning I bought a bunch of tooling off Craigslist. The purchase included involute gear cutters made by Union Twist Drill Company in Athol, Mass. I contacted the seller and said I'd prefer a refund, which I got.

So I figure you saved me that money.

Thank you,

Charles

Last edited:
Finished the 22mm arbor this morning and made some test cuts in Aluminum.

Very pleased that they cut with minimal noise. Evidently my arbor and the cutters are concentric, or by magic the errors lined up and cancelled each other out.

It appears these came from two factories. The first factory marks the cutters with a a T in a Circle. This cutter seemed to make a nice finish in aluminum.

IMG_2011_zps1harham2.jpg

IMG_2017_zps9cluilgn.jpg

The other cutters are marked with a star followed by an I. These also seemed to leave a nice finish.

IMG_2021_zpsp5o2e3eu.jpg

No more time for machining this weekend. I will post examples when I manage to cut some gears.

A quick update.

I found that one of the cutters I purchased would not fit onto my arbor. It took some time to work with the vendor to get a refund so I could purchase a replacement cutter.

For one manufacturer I got:
  • Cutters that cost much less than the competition ~60$
  • A set of cutters that were advertised as a 22mm bore but arrived with a 16mm bore
  • Two cutters with large pits and voids in the material (see pictures posted earlier in thread)
  • One cutter that would not fit onto the arbor.

I cannot read the package, so I cannot tell you the name, but they logo looks like this:

IMG_1990_zpso8gi9htl.jpg IMG_1990-001_zpsk4whajao.jpg

In contrast to this...

Another manufacturer provided cutters that appeared to be very good quality, no issues with voids or fit on the arbor. Their logo looks like this:

IMG_1952_zpsodaoqgso.jpg
IMG_1968_zpsmzfsppwf.jpg

IMG_1990_zpso8gi9htl.jpg

IMG_1990-001_zpsk4whajao.jpg

IMG_1952_zpsodaoqgso.jpg

IMG_1968_zpsmzfsppwf.jpg

IMG_1990_zpso8gi9htl.jpg

IMG_1952_zpsodaoqgso.jpg

IMG_1968_zpsmzfsppwf.jpg

IMG_1990_zpso8gi9htl.jpg