Running Lathe With Vfd: Reversing Switch Possible?

If you have a threaded chuck don't stop it toooo fast or a new emergency will arise :)

I set mine to slow down over a longer peried after that :)

Stuart

I have a Teco JNEV on my mill and the manual states that you can only install their braking module and not the braking resistor Dave H. described. If anyone knows how to get a simple resistor to work with that VFD I'd love to know how.

I looked into this a while ago for the JNEV VFD and the braking mosule cost almost as much as the VFD, they no longer had the braking module, the electronics (braking transistor) are not built into the VFD so one can't just add a resistor. Even the replacement version the L510 is missing this unless you are getting the 460V models. They can still brake fairly decently electronically if using it on a smaller machine.

If you have a 3rd shaft for electrical forward and reverse switching, it's easy to add a no-volt release contactor in the line to the VFD, fit a "neutral switch" in series with the "on" button so that you can't power up the lathe with it in Fwd/Reverse and surprise yourself with a spinning chuck!

Most VFD's will not start if powered up in Run mode, unless you intentionally program it to do so. I never want my lathe to start spinning on power up. maybe a pump I would.

I'm running 240VAC into my VFD, and then into the motor which is a 3-phase. Where is the most logical place to create a reverse-direction option? Is that one of the options on my VFD, or do I need to install a switch between the 240VAC wall source and the VFD?

Where is the most logical place to create a reverse-direction option? Is that one of the options on my VFD,
Yes
It's built into the VFD features, the manual shows how.

do I need to install a switch between the 240VAC wall source and the VFD?
Yes I install a double pole switch to be able to turn it off and cut the power to both lines when I leave the shop.
But that will not reverse it.

Read the manual

http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/TheCount12345678910/media/FM50page17wiringdiagram-EDITING.gif.html

That is a diagram for a different teco, read the manual and make sure.

https://www.tecowestinghouse.com/Manuals/ev_operating_manual.pdf

Last edited:
Back