Rubber / plastic to keep tools sharp?

Sharky

Active User
Registered
What is the plastic or rubber coating that comes on new tools and bits to keep them sharp? Does anyone have a source or suggestion for a similar coating to keep tool bits and taps clean and sharp?

I do not know the formal name but it is available at your local machine tool supply. It melts at low temps,I use an old crock pot. Plug it in well before you need to dip a tool as it melts slowly and I have not found a way to speed up the process. It comes in many colors inciuding clear.
Makes your grinding jobs look really professional too. I even recycle mine although the color is off it still does it's job.

Dipseal is the most popular. I have a pot for it. It melts the stuff in a few minutes and can actually ruin it with too high a temp if you have it set wrong. Recycling it is generally fine, but not all of them mix properly. Some are designed with more oil, or a different formula of rust preventative.

I was in the paint isle at my local Lowes big box today and noticed a tool-dip product in the spray-paint cage. I don't recall the brand name, but a pint was under $10. It is a liquid product that you apply cold and not reusable like the hot-dip stuff.

Matt

Last edited:
Looks like Dip Seal or Peel-Away are the winners.

Both are hot melt, but thats ok because the dry time is faster.
Dip Seal thru Enco is 31.00 for 5 lbs (A lot for material for my purpose)
Peel-Away thru McMaster is under 8 for 1 lb (less waste for a trial use)

Thanks for all the replies!

It's not so much a drying as a cooling off. It only takes a few seconds to solidify. If the tool you dip is cold, or at least cool, a quick dip will be very fast to set. You can control the thickness by regulating the temperature of the pot. High temperature is naturally thinner. But you can also dip it more than once. When dipping, don't leave the tool in longer than necessary, or it will warm up and delay the set. I use mime mostly on thread gages, since I don't resharpen my own end mills yet.

My plan is to dip my small taps and odd sizes that I don't use often like 3-48, 5-40 to keep them clean and sharp. I might even dip some of my spares of bigger sizes, just keeping 1 for regular use, then they can roll against each other without damage.

If all works out, I may start dipping my lathe bits after grinding a few of each common styles so I have sharp spares ready to go.

I was thinking a mini-crock pot, but looks like it won't get hot enough. Any suggestions? Maybe an old tin can and a single burner counter top stove?

Back