Router Bits

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anyone try wood router bits on metal?

Jim Dawson frequently does, and I'm sure there are others. I don't think the 1/4" shank would be nearly as rigid as the 1/2" shanks, so that's about the only way I would try it, and probably not in steel so much. But I've not done it, so that's just my opinion.

As Tony says, 1/2 shank are the best for metal working, just because they are stiffer. But I always keep a few 1/4 inch solid carbide router bits around. You have to be a bit careful with those on steel because the web is not as strong as metal cutting bits. I have successfully milled 316 stainless with a 3/16 carbide tipped, 1/4 shank router bit. The bit looked new after 12 parts. The carbide tipped corner rounders are great, I use those both on the mill and the lathe in both 1/4 and 1/2 shank. Harbor Freight is a good source for these, you just have to take the bearing off and sometimes grind off the bearing nose if you need more clearance.

And the best part of using router bits is that when you break one on a Saturday afternoon, you can run down to the local hardware store and get another one. ;)

I have used carbide router bits on aluminum only and some times I actually use the router with the bit to round over aluminum parts. Use Hummer aluminum wheels on my Dodge ram but have to turn a small ridge with a flush trim router bit with a router and it works perfect. the only other way for me to do that would to have dismounted the tire and put it on the mill.

yes I use carbide tipped router on alum and some steel works ok. also carbide rotary files on hardened steel cut great bill

I used this one recently . I needed to round over a hand tool I made. I figure it wouldn't hurt to try it . It cut mild steel no prob , no chatter .
I had it pushed up pretty far in a collet and I had the wheel bearing off.
Although I haven't tried it, I would probably not use 1/4" router bits .
---------------------------------------------
YonicoRoundoverBit.jpg

Back