Round Tower Mill Question

Hey Freak!
(Sorry, had to do it) ;D

Are you talking about threading this hole? I don't know that I would do that myself.

Just my uneducated opinion since I don't own a Bridgport. :-\

Its ok I get that all the time ;D

As for the hole, yes I was planning on threading it. The bridgeport at work is setup this way. Why wouldnt you thread it? Where would you go to attach the DRO?

Sorry for the crappy pic, it looked better when I took it. This is from the one at work.

DRO Quill Attach.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we may be mis-understanding each other. I'll attempt to explain my meaning. :-[

Attachments

• DRO Quill Attach.jpg
    DRO Quill Attach.jpg
    607.7 KB · Views: 5
Thank you very much for your help! I am new to this and will take every bit of advice I can get! My thought was if I put any sealer in that hole it would be a bugger to get the allen bolt back out to remove the stop from the quill. It is a fairly tight fit. Do you see a problem with threading the hole that would cause anything to break or not operate properly? Like my Dad used to say "There is more than one way to skin a cat" ;D

Is there a reason you would need to remove that stop often?

Loctite breaks down with heat, so simply warming the parts with a propane torch would allow you to separate them again if you had to.

The only reason I have for not threading the stop, is to preserve the originality of the part. Someday you might want to replace the DRO with a different one that will require the original smooth hole like the one where you work. I don't thing threading it will harm anything though.

One thought however:
Do you know if that stop is hardened or not? Again, I'm not a BP owner so I don't know. :-[
Try to see if you can cut the stop with a file first. If the file just skips over the surface, you won't be able to thread it anyway.

I was hoping another Bridgeport owner would have chimed in by now.... ;)

good point, I honestly dont know. This is my first experience with a mill so I am learning as I go :eek:

Loctite would probably be a easier do than tapping and threading and it wouldnt modify the part.

As for hardening, I had wondered that but when I cleaned the part up I noticed the dent in the surface from the pin that it pushes on at the top of the stroke. I dont think hardened steel would show that much wear, but then again I dont know the age or use of the machine, it might have been used that much to make a dent in hardened steel

quill stop.jpg

Took the plunge and decided to thread it, was going to have to run a drill through it to clean the edges up anyway. I measured it out and a 9/16" tap fits perfectly so no drilling required. Had a piece of hardened chrome plated rod that I wanted to use so I heated it for a bit and let it cool and then cleaned the chrome off on the lathe. Ran a die across it and voila! Thanks for all the ideas and input.

[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]

tapped.jpg tapped-1.jpg

Well I guess that answers that question, huh? ;)

You must have had Larry the cable guy cheering you on.

[move]GIT-R-DONE!!!![/move]

;D

Yup! Gotta do it when the opportunity strikes ;D I dont get to have the time or the opportunity to sneak into the machine shop at work so when the operator said "go ahead, I am not using the machines" I had to jump on it. Best part is, I learned several things. If I get my own lathe anytime it is nice to know that some of the metals I have access to can be worked with if I heat them first. 2nd thing is when I put it back together tonight it still worked :p :p Now I just need to make the brackets to attach the dro slide at the top and bottom and this will be working 8)

Back