Round Tower Mill Question

Pontiac Freak

Active User
Registered
I have a Round Tower Mill that is from what I can tell a Bridgeport clone. I am wanting to put a DRO on it and was looking for ways to mount to the quill. While on this quest I found a very loose piece on the quill stop. Does anybody know how to take this apart to tighten it so I can attach the DRO to it?[attachimg=1]

2011-04-09 12.30.17.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, maybe with enough digging I have found something that will work. Since this is a Bridgeport clone I started searching on the Bridgeport side and found this. I think this may be the answer I was looking for.[attachimg=1]

Removing the Threaded Shaft on a Vertical Mill.jpg

That would be correct. You must drop the screw to access the socket cap screw holding the ring to the quill. Just watch where all the parts drop onto the floor from. :)

Put a towel under the project to catch all the parts. The little arm on the bottom has to come out, and there is a screw/nut adjustment for tripping out the Z feed that you may have to play with after reassembly. That arm and the snap ring is all that you need to remove, if I recall correctly. It's been a while.

I have a spare bracket for attaching a read head to that stop, should you need one.

Pontiac Freak link=topic=1674.msg10057#msg10057 date=1302657891 said:
I am wanting to put a DRO on it and was looking for ways to mount to the quill.
It's for connecting a DRO scale to the quill. I took the above to mean you were looking for a way to attach a Z scale to your quill?

What kind of DRO do you have?

Here is a pic of the DRO that I plan on using. Would your piece attach to it?

attachment.php?attachmentid=62532&d=1277407825.jpg
attachment.php?attachmentid=62536&d=1277407825.jpg

Ahhhhh...... ok. I'm afraid the bracket I have would be over-kill in your case since it would stick out from the front of your quill stop by 1-1/2".
You would have to mount the entire scale much farther out than what is in those pictures. Close to the quill is good. ;)

All you really need is a piece of round stock with a threaded hole in the center. Might even come with the DRO hardware if that is designed for a Bridgeport type mill.

Yes that is quite the bracket! Thanks for the offer but like you said it is too big. I think I will have to thread the center of the piece and put some round stock into it with the center of it threaded to make my generic DRO work. It doesnt come with much but for the cost it isnt too bad ;D

Well, I started the teardown tonight and the manual was correct :eek: Got all the pieces out and cleaned and found a donor piece of round stock that I need to take to work and use the larger tap and die set and get it moving ;)

Back