Rotating Confusion.

Do you have a good understanding of rotating work holders?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a beginner question:

Can someone elaborate on the various rotating work holding devices and their uses. I have a rotary table which I have used on the mill to make knobs and hex shafts but I am unclear on the array of terminology I see out there:

Spacers
Super spacers
Indexers
Dividing heads
Dividing heads- universal and semi-universal
Spin fixtures
Rotary fixtures
Rotary tables

No wonder my head is spinning! What are the fundamental differences? What is the best practice for each device? Which ones do I need to acquire?

Who else has an issue with this?

Robert

Some of them go round and round while the others go in circles. hope this clears it up...

You didn't vote! And I don't want to go round and round about this.

Simple, any device that rotates a part in a milling machine, sometimes called the 4TH axis. Lathes come equipped with a spindle and do not require such a device, most manual lathes do not have indexing spindles nor the live tooling to take advantage of such a feature.

Spacers and rotary tables are usually divided by degrees and minutes and will not stop at a fixed location. A dividing head employs perforated plates wherein the rotating handle has a pin that when inserted into the correct hole gives the correct position, this is useful with unskilled production Employee's. In the traditional sense a Universal dividing head has a vast amount of movement allowing angles to be easily achieved. The nomenclature is more confusing then the actual use.

Thanks Wreck. That is very helpful. Makes sense. I feel my vertigo is passing...
R

You didn't vote! ...

when I opened this topic I scrolled straight to the first post, ignoring advertisements as I always do, and didn't realise there was a POLL at that top of the page.

if there is a way to view the forum with zero advertisements please let me know.

I have donated to the site.

pete

Back