Rotary weld positioner speed and/or high-frequency start issue (EE help?)

Did you try AC welding speed control with the panel vs pedal to see if that had any impact? Beyond that and doing some careful cleaning and experimenting with your grounds, you're into diagnosing the circuit. Challenge with that is playing welder while also doing live electrical troubleshooting.

I took a look at the schematic- it's a convoluted circuit, to me overly complex. Lots of sensitive cmos switches and fets; just the type of circuit that would work fine on the bench but when you put it into actual service it goes crazy. Ask me how I know LOL
A good earth ground is probably the best thing to try for now

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys.

@rabler - The two JP1's are definitely not jumpered; easy to tell visually and I tested them just for the heck of it. I assume you picked up on the diode in-line with the resistor (there's a few of those on the board). Good eye. I don't think that is re-work though. The silkscreen on the PCB agrees with how those were done. I'm assuming they didn't want to redo the physical board layout, so they rev'd the artwork and got creative with chaining components together.

@markba633csi - I recognize components and purpose of basic (to me) arrangements, but can't make heads/tails of anything more complex...so I'll trust your judgement on the design. :grin:

Back