Rotary tumbler

Hi All
Thanks for the replies.
Now that I have given this more thought and seen some examples of what's out there, I realize two things: one, I primarily want this for deburring and dulling machined edges, and two, I am finding that the home models appear as though they would get torn up inside on a deburring steel tumble.
Do any of the home models have a wooden inside for dry tumbling?

I'm not aware of wooden liners, but my Thumler's Model B uses a thick rubber liner. It helps with noise and is gentler on both the drum insides and the workpieces being tumbled. It works pretty well and are used for very long periods of time with no ill effects.

Harbor Freight sells the walnut hull media as well as ceramic bits that I think would be good for deburring steel.

I use Thumbler's Tumbler for cleaning brass cases with stainless pins, washing powder and citric acid, the cost is tiny and the results are fantastic. For de-burring and cleaning steel parts I use triangular ceramic media in the same tumbler.

the cost is tiny and the results are fantastic.

Got any pictures you could share?
thanks,
-brino

EDIT: Wait....I just checked your stats, and you just joined the group today.
That warrants a "Welcome to the Hobby-Machinist!"
It's great to see you jump in and share your experiences.

I have one of the HF plastic bin ones, I use both the Ceramic and the walnut shells depending on what I want to do. I has cleaned up bolts and other parts for rebuild of a old band saw, and other items. But have not used to debur new stuff yet, but that is a good idea to try. It is out in the garage shop so the noise is ok.

Cheers Dude!
I don't have photos but 1/2 teaspoon of (clothes) washing powder with 1/4 flat teaspoon of citric acid and a 5 hour run in the rotary tumbler gave me brass that looked new, results were the same with .357 mag, .303 british, .223 and a variety of others.
A friend has just today had good results with .50 BMG using the same mix and a rotary tumbler,
Regards,
Nick

You can make a very cheap but effective tumbler from a disk on a rotating shaft.
Hang a car tyre on the disk, fill the hanging tyre with media and parts and turn on.
Because its not sealed the water will evaporate so will need topping up.

You can make a very cheap but effective tumbler from a disk on a rotating shaft.
Hang a car tyre on the disk, fill the hanging tyre with media and parts and turn on.
Because its not sealed the water will evaporate so will need topping up.

Took me a bit to think about it, but yea, not a bad idea.

Back