Rotary Tables H/v

dlane

Active User
Registered
Fixen to pull the trigger on a 10" rotab , don't want one that leeks when vert, been looking at the Vertex
10" on Amazon seems the best price. I plan on useing it to cut radius's in alu / steal , some shaft work. I wish there was a place local that I could compare RT , SS , DH in person
Guess I'll have to find a 3jaw Chuck that fits table t slots . I'll be putting it on a 9x42 bport clone.
Any one see a problem with this plan ?
Thanks for any advice , comments

Amazon free shipping price $489. thru quality machine tool , called QMT there price with free shipping is $459. This is for a cchv 10 Vertex , dose not leek oil in vert setting
guess I'll order from them tomorrow, maybe I'll change my mind by then.

Sounds good, Derrick. Do you need a 10" rotab for the work you plan to do with it? If so, that would work fine on your machine, If you mostly do smaller work, you might consider an 8" rotab. My 8" horizontal/vertical is about all I want to pick up and move any more without using a hoist or something. Tooling that is too heavy or awkward to move doesn't get used much...

Before giving any advice I wonder if you could post up what your work envelope will be? What kind of work will you be doing or are you doing? A 10" rotary table is fairly large for any fullsize BP/BP clone and many times an 8" will accomplish the same thing, especially on a 9x42.

Mike.

Thanks for the replys, quess the RT is on hold for now , other things came up.
After searching RT on this site most suggested to get the biggest you can fit on machine.
You can cut small parts on a big table but not big parts on small table, that's why I was thinking 10"
When I do get one I'll be thinking 8" as my back is already a mess :distrust:.

You can certainly make big parts on a small table. Make yourself a fixture plate that mounts to the table top that is bigger than the table and then mount the part to that. On my 8" table that gives unlimited increase in work size because the rotation knob and the angle mounting plate are completely below the level of the table. You will lose some rigidity by using a smaller table, but how often will you need the big table and what will you be cutting?

You can certainly make big parts on a small table. Make yourself a fixture plate that mounts to the table top that is bigger than the table and then mount the part to that. On my 8" table that gives unlimited increase in work size because the rotation knob and the angle mounting plate are completely below the level of the table. You will lose some rigidity by using a smaller table, but how often will you need the big table and what will you be cutting?

I agree with Bob that you can make a fixture plate and put it on a smaller RT for doing large jobs, but personally I would look closely at your work envelope and decide how often you will be doing these larger jobs where a 10" is needed. If it is a high percentage of the time, then rather than make an adapter plate I would purchase a 10" RT. If you can't think of an instance where you would need it or can think back to one or two instances in the past several years but the vast majority would be smaller items, I would make it easy on yourself and get an 8" RT.

I fell under the latter and have had to get creative for a larger project once in the past 6 or so years of having my 8" RT.

Mike.

Also, large jobs does not mean tough jobs, and smaller jobs are not necessarily easy jobs. Will the large jobs be 1/4" Delrin or aluminum, cut with a 1/4" end mill or drills, or will they be 2" thick 4130 steel needing large amounts of material hogged off with big cutters? Another thing that can help with cutting parts bigger than the table is adding additional outboard support between the work and the mill table when the work only needs to be positioned by the table and you not rotating the table while cutting. The tough jobs are heavy cutting at large diameter while the table is turning. Planning the work so you are always pushing the cutting edges against the backlash also makes a big difference.

Thanks when the time comes 8" it will be , I'm thinking 8" vertex any comments on this brand ?.

Back