Rotary Table Woes

Have you tried using heat to help straighten arrows? Violin bows are re curved over a pot of hot charcoal.

Have you tried using heat to help straighten arrows? Violin bows are re curved over a pot of hot charcoal.
The arrows were 7075 aluminum, unknown heat treatment. I would be afraid that heating would destroy the temper in the shaft. The problem was not with being able to bend the shaft but that the bend usually happened when the arrow tried to go around some object. There was a gradual curve in the shaft which was induced as the arrow slid around the offending object. The momentum of the arrow provided the bending force. Ideally, the bend would be removed by drawing the shaft past a fulcrum point while applying the correct amount of restoring force. Practically, this can't be done. What I would do was to place the arrow in the lathe with a small amount protruding and measure runout. Straighten that portion and pull out another half inch and repeat the process. Continue until the entire shaft has been straightened. Because the process is done in discrete steps, there are little wobbles in the shaft. It would be OK for nutzing around but I would not use it for anything serious again.

Back