Rotary Table or Rotary Table and Dividing plates?

............... you could use the program that Marv Klotz has on the net for free, that will get you setup for any number of divisions as well, but more chance for error if your not carefull......................................Other wise, with rotary tables, go the biggest you can handle, you will run out of room for work holding really fast with the small R/T,s. Though a large diameter sub plate could be installed to make it larger.

Do you have a link for that Marv Klotz program; free is good for starting to learn with! :))

I'm going to be limited initially to a 4" table as I'm starting out with a Sieg X1 Micro Mill, and I have to take price into account at the moment too.

Thanks,

M

A stepper driven indexer is available as a stand alone system. I have run one on a small Webb CNC 3 axis knee mill. It had two basic modes of operation. You could set up the tool with all the parameters for the operation for that tool, execute an index move and the indexer would stop. Then the CNC control would go through all the code for that feature, whether it had one tool or ten. Once the program was finished for that particular feature, and homed out, you I would hit the "index" cycle start button on the separate control for the indexer, which would move to the next position. Cycle start the main control and repeat all tool operations on the next identical feature. Repeat as necessary. The control for the indexer was separate from the CNC controller for the mill. It was more of an accessory. It worked very well, within its limits.

As I recall, there was the facility to link the two so that the end of cycle on the main control could trigger an index move, so the entire part could be done without operator intervention. It's just that you could not program a feedrate into the indexer. It was wide open speed or nothing. and like I said, no way to connect the to to coordinate the start/stop between the indexer and the other axes.

Remember though, that was a while ago, and only one make of indexer, but that's how they are all designed to work, as far as I know. I have seen people set up repetitive hole drilling jobs even on manual machines like Bridgeport mills with a microswitch at the top of the quill so that after each hole was drilled, manually, the indexer would move to the next hole location. I think basically, the understanding is that they are intended to move to a new position rather than cut along the way to the next programmed position.

Thanks Tony, that sounds like what I should be looking for. Just something to rotate the part to the require point, stop, I can then make a mark or drill a hole or whatever, then have it rotate to the next point.

Now I need to be looking at software as well as how to match stepper motors and drivers!

M

Back