Rotary table centres

Before you buy a RT figure out how much work piece Z space you will have left, especially if you are going to mount a chuck. I've mounted a tool makers vice a few times when multiples were going to be made. Quick part changeout. A real fixture would be better if it was going to be used for successive batches. .

I remember a thread awhile back where the size of rotary tables for round column mill/drills was discussed. The consensus seemed to be that 6" was about right, 8" was typically too big and 4" or smaller was too small. I would also look for the lowest table height because of the Z height issues. I know a chuck is easy to use. Yet if I ever get a rotary table I plan to make adjustable jaws to fit in the T slots. This should work just a good as a chuck with independent jaws.

Since the center hole is mostly used for centering plugs, I favor a straight hole rather than a taper.
The C Gorton RT I bought from you has a straight hole. 1 1/2" I believe. Makes centering a snap.

I remember a thread awhile back where the size of rotary tables for round column mill/drills was discussed. The consensus seemed to be that 6" was about right, 8" was typically too big and 4" or smaller was too small. I would also look for the lowest table height because of the Z height issues. I know a chuck is easy to use. Yet if I ever get a rotary table I plan to make adjustable jaws to fit in the T slots. This should work just a good as a chuck with independent jaws.
I think 6" is the right size for an RF mill.
Good idea on the adjustable jaws... :)

I think 6" is the right size for an RF mill.
Good idea on the adjustable jaws... :)
And easier to lift. Doesn't matter now but it will. :big grin:
I remember fondly being able to throw mine around (10 years ago). . .

You have an 8" table on that mill so I would think an 8" would fit, but the growth of RTs is not exactly linear so I'd go with what others with similar size mills suggest.

I have a 6" horizontal / vertical RT on my 6x24" Clausing, and it seems about right to me, but I also have a 4" RT for my Sherline. The 2" difference in size does make for a much larger piece of hardware than just 2" more would suggest.

4" Sherline and 6" Homge RTs sitting on the mill table, obviously the 4" is on top. ;)

4 and 6 inch rotary tables.jpg

You have an 8" table on that mill so I would think an 8" would fit, but the growth of RTs is not exactly linear so I'd go with what others with similar size mills suggest.

I have a 6" horizontal / vertical RT on my 6x24" Clausing, and it seems about right to me, but I also have a 4" RT for my Sherline. The 2" difference in size does make for a much larger piece of hardware than just 2" more would suggest.

4" Sherline and 6" Homge RTs sitting on the mill table, obviously the 4" is on top. ;)

View attachment 343349
Thanks Aaron, that's very illustrative!

Back