Rotary broach

FTlatheworks

Registered
Registered
I only have a lathe, drill press, and hand tools. Is it possible to make a rotary broach tool holder with just a lathe?

If not what’s a good budget rotary broach tool to get?

The difficult part of making the rotary broach (besides grinding the tooling) is the 1°-offset. I remember that I saw someone fixing the part on the toolpost of the lathe (for making the 1°-offset) and putting the tool in the chuck. Sadly I can't find the youtube video. But it's somewhat difficult to get a good hold of the part so it doesn't move while you machine it.

The difficult part of making the rotary broach (besides grinding the tooling) is the 1°-offset. I remember that I saw someone fixing the part on the toolpost of the lathe (for making the 1°-offset) and putting the tool in the chuck. Sadly I can't find the youtube video. But it's somewhat difficult to get a good hold of the part so it doesn't move while you machine it.
Well my lathe is broken now, so I won’t be making anything.

What's wrong with it?
Speed selection completely seized up. It’s always been sticky, but the slop in the gears it has had since new has already became enough for the gear to turn side ways and get seized up. Everything on 1-3 speed selection is sloppy junk. The whole lathe is really.

Last edited:
Back