rod size to thread size chart

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
was wondering if they make a chart that tells you the rod size that you would need to cut a known thread. i want to be ably to make my own bolts minus the head or threaded rod:thinking: i know i'm thinking again lol

The specific major diameter limits are given in Machinery's Handbook for most threads. Generally it's the nominal size with a minus only tolerance.

TY Ed that was what i needed, which of the machenery books do i get they are so many of them:thinking:

The specific major diameter limits are given in Machinery's Handbook for most threads. Generally it's the nominal size with a minus only tolerance.
ty tony understand, you cant take a 1/4 inch rod and thread it for a 1/4 nut cause the rod is just a tad to big so you turn it down to the minimal or highest:biggrin:

If you wanted to make a 3/8-16 bolt, you would start with (or turn down to) a major diameter of 3/8". Using a nut or thread measuring wires will tell you when you have cut the thread deep enough.

The tap/drill chart Ed posted will tell you the size hole you need to drill in order to accept a particular thread diameter and pitch. The size of the hole can be varied to set the amount of engagement.
ty mayhem seems anther tool is in order:biggrin:

so in laymen's term, you can put any thread on a piece of bar but if that bar is not turned down to the proper size the nut is not going to fit:cool:

The book specified is the Machinery's Handbook. You can get used ones on Ebay. This book has been the Machinists right arm since its first printing. I believe the newest edition is the 28th. The first Edition was printed in 1914 I believe. This book will prove invaluable to you. There is a guide that goes with it that explains how some of the numbers are arrived at.

"Billy G" :thumbzup::thumbzup::thumbzup::thumbzup:
Ty billyG going book hunting:biggrin:

i found one on ebay item number 200545287586 its a 1942 the cover is a little rough but pages are fine:biggrin: so i guess i go for this for now:biggrin:

If you did not go for that one yet don't. It's too banged up and won't last in the shop. I have a 25th edition in large print. See your PMs.

"Billy G" :thumbzup::thumbzup::thumbzup:
sounds great, let me know how to get the funds to you. again ty:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

HI

I normaly measure a bolt of the same size and turn the bar to that size .
If you want the tapping size for a hole, and you dont have the charts to hand ,find a drill that fits the inside of a nut of the size you want
I know this advice is crude, but when needs must, it works.

Regards BRIAN.

Back