Rod Selection?

Hi Folks,

Thanks to those that posted some metal suppliers that ship to Canada, however, wow that shipping is expensive!
I realize that this is only one piece of data, and sure it is 4 feet long, but shipping costs really are limiting.......

-brino

onlinemetals.jpg speedymetal.jpg

Another source of material that you can often get for free is from screw machine shops. You can usually get bar ends for nothing. Now and then you could score some brass or aluminum. Diameters and material will be hodge podge but it never hurts to ask.

You can also check with your local Fastenal outlet same prices as US without the shipping and you may only have to wait a couple days for it.

If you already have a business account with Fastenal then you're good to go, but if not, forget it...at least around here (Ottawa, Ont.) I went there a few weeks ago to purchase/order some stuff and they said "no-can-do". Apparently they are getting out of sales to the general public, "business accounts" only (much like Acklunds Grainger) :(.

So I went to Metal Supermarkets instead. Pricier than Fastenal for sure, but at least I got what I was after...same day too! (which was good seeing as it's a 2-2.5 hr round trip for me).

Metal Supermarket's price compared to the Online Metals quote that Brino showed: https://ecommerce.metalsupermarkets.com/Cart.aspx

If you already have a business account with Fastenal then you're good to go, but if not, forget it...at least around here (Ottawa, Ont.) I went there a few weeks ago to purchase/order some stuff and they said "no-can-do". Apparently they are getting out of sales to the general public, "business accounts" only (much like Acklunds Grainger) :(.
I hope that is not true for the US. We have a Fastenal outlet locally, and when I needed some metric cap screws for an oil pan replacement, they were the only game in town. Twenty screws at about $.18 each; I felt guilty at not buying more. I did tell the counter man upfront that it was a cash sale though so he had the right to refuse it if he chose. My first encounter was work related where I went in for a screw that we needed to finish a project and the cost was $.03. I really felt guilty then! He even put the screw in a plastic bag for me.

I hope that is not true for the US. We have a Fastenal outlet locally, and when I needed some metric cap screws for an oil pan replacement, they were the only game in town. Twenty screws at about $.18 each; I felt guilty at not buying more. I did tell the counter man upfront that it was a cash sale though so he had the right to refuse it if he chose. My first encounter was work related where I went in for a screw that we needed to finish a project and the cost was $.03. I really felt guilty then! He even put the screw in a plastic bag for me.

In my area Fastenal only sells in package lots. They started that a couple years ago. But IMHO, why buy just one when 100 will do. Keeps my shelves stocked.

Well we are in a rural area and there's not enough industry to take a industry only stand. Lots of small business and agriculture plus a large metal supplier already in town so Fastenal is more of a in between supplier here.

So far my best local metal supplier has been a metal recyclers in an adjacent small town. They pay for scrap and also sell new steel to industry.....but best of all they will let me walk around the yard and dig thru the piles. You gotta know what your looking for, but the used stuff is waaaaay cheaper than the new.

So I went to Metal Supermarkets instead. Pricier than Fastenal for sure, but at least I got what I was after...same day too! (which was good seeing as it's a 2-2.5 hr round trip for me).

Hi Todd, This might be a good source for you too, is is Falls Iron in Smith's Falls.
http://www.companylisting.ca/Falls_Iron_Metal/default.aspx

There is an auto recycler to the South, but these guys are to the North, right on the corner.

-brino

Reactions: TTD
Thank you very much for the tip, Brino...it's greatly appreciated! :encourage:

...but best of all they will let me walk around the yard and dig thru the piles.

Oh man, talk about the proverbial "kid in a candy store"...I'll be right in heaven! :)

nowadays i get all my matarial from the metal recycler in the next town, 10 km away
in rods i look especially for the end parts, as they have the paint indicating the material code on them
it pays to visit every now and then and get some material to put in stock

Back