Rml 1640v Vs Grizzly G0670

coolidge

Active User
Registered
Well now the RML 1640V may be in the running after all. The game changer is I confirmed with Matt tonight that the RML 1640V is single phase vs the Grizzly is 3 phase. I'm guessing that also explains the big price difference between the RML 1640 and the 1640V. The Grizzly requires 3 phase power so I'd have to spend $1,800 on a rotary phase converter setup plus another $1,077 in sales tax. Given that they are close enough on price I'd consider the RML 1640V. The wild card would be landing a 10% off Grizzly coupon then I'd have to go Grizzly, I can afford to wait a while for a coupon.

Until then lets talk about this RML 1640V. I sent some more questions over to Matt this evening. What is the motor HP, is it inverter rated, is the lathe 100% made Taiwan? I'll also want to learn more about how they have this configured for single phase.

There are some differences, the RML 1640V includes a leadscrew cover which is nice. The base is solid cast iron vs the Grizzly has a pull out chip drawer in the center, I'm on the fence on that. I certainly prefer the RML 1640V colors.

rotary phase converter, 200 bucks for panel and a couple hundred for a used 10hp motor. Good luck getting specs from Matt, they don't really sell these machines, they carry them..... meaning they can order one and you wait 2 to 3 months. I had no luck getting pertinent data from them, like what threads it cut or more importantly didn't cut. The price they gave me was without CSS, bare bones tooling. Could have bought a Kent for what they were asking. The Grizzly is from a different factory I believe, crappy paint color, more tooling, CSS on cross slide, in stock and much cheaper. I am not even sure the RML is triple v ways, not that that would be a deal breaker. If you buy 2 machines from Grizzly totaling $5K or more you can ask for a price adjustment, so maybe you need a sander or something.

I'm also looking at CNC mills which require a higher quality RPC, the brand I'm looking at is the one Haas approves of warranty wise.

I have some more information.

1. I have confirmed PM does not stock these lathes so ETA is 8-10 weeks.

2. Doublee is correct that you can't just go download the manuals and all the specs on the RML like you can with the Grizzly.

3. The RML now has the pull out chip drawer like the Grizzly, confirmed in some pics Matt sent me.

4. The RML only has double V ways in the picture Matt sent me, vs the Grizzly triple V ways. I have not confirmed the current mills shipping are double vs triple.

I did kind of have my heart set on those triple V ways and 8-10 weeks is longer than I was looking to wait. I also think I can now avoid the sales tax on the Grizzly after some additional research. So if I don't have a last minute meltdown and buy that Haas CNC mill instead before the sale ends March 31st I'm back to leaning Grizzly.

Back