"riser" block?

dulltool17

Active User
Registered
Problem: My Grizz Combo machine mill spindle is waaaaaay above the lathe compound (which does double duty as one axis of motion). Even with my vise, I have trouble getting the cutter to reach the workpiece, at least not with as much rigidity as I need.

My Solution? I need to find some sort of "riser" block that I can bolt to the cross slide to jack up the mill vise. What I envision is a hollow "cube" of about 6" H x 8" X 8" with about a 1" wall. I could Drill & tap a number of holes to mount vise of work-piece. Something akin to the old "tombstone" or Wharton set-up, but the most important attributes need to be stiffness and a decent height. 1-2-3 blocks are too small/short.

I'm sure I'm not the first guy to have this issue. ideas? advice?

Doug

Doug,

There are at least two options:

1. You could use what's variously called a "box angle plate" or a "box angle iron." These are essentially angle plates that go all the way around to make an open box. They are ground on all four sides plus the wall ends on the open sides. You can pick them up on eBay, importers, or domestic makers like Suburban

2. You could also use a "precision cube." These won't get you as high, but are typically better in parallelism. Suburban has some, but I'm sure you can find them elsewhere, too.

Good luck,
Tom

Hi Doug,
Different situation, but when I wanted to do some turning without my compound I made a riser to take up the equivalent space under the tool post.
It was a piece of solid round that I had left over from another job.
IMG_5222.JPG IMG_5226.JPG IMG_5227.JPG IMG_5272.JPG IMG_5276.JPG

Cheers Phil

IMG_5222.JPG IMG_5226.JPG IMG_5227.JPG IMG_5272.JPG IMG_5276.JPG

Back