Thank you Ryan - I just watched the video. For now, I won't be reinstalling the coolant pump, so I'll just leave those connections as is.

I notice that you have the one shot oiler on your apron - I've got a question regarding, and I'll PM you, so as not to take the thread here off track.

Paul

I ended up mounting the VFD inside the base of the lathe, just behind the cabinet. As seen in the picture, I can access the VFD controls by reaching in through the slot provided for storing the faceplate. I've wired as per your initial post, Ryan - using the original momentary pushbuttons, along with the original contactors to control the VFD. I'm still using the variator, and so I don't have much need to access the VFD. The noise from the variator continues to annoy me, and if I get rid of it, I can always bring a potentiometer out to the front of the lathe. The VFD is safe from chips and the only exposed wiring is an armored cable from a metal outlet box on the wall to the lathe's electrical enclosure. The only downside, which I didn't anticipate, is that when stored, the faceplate rests against the case of the VFD, although I can still close the cabinet door.

Attachments

• IMG_20231218_195809863.jpg
    IMG_20231218_195809863.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231218_195627843.jpg
    IMG_20231218_195627843.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 6
I ended up mounting the VFD inside the base of the lathe, just behind the cabinet. As seen in the picture, I can access the VFD controls by reaching in through the slot provided for storing the faceplate. I've wired as per your initial post, Ryan - using the original momentary pushbuttons, along with the original contactors to control the VFD. I'm still using the variator, and so I don't have much need to access the VFD. The noise from the variator continues to annoy me, and if I get rid of it, I can always bring a potentiometer out to the front of the lathe. The VFD is safe from chips and the only exposed wiring is an armored cable from a metal outlet box on the wall to the lathe's electrical enclosure. The only downside, which I didn't anticipate, is that when stored, the faceplate rests against the case of the VFD, although I can still close the cabinet door.
Nice mounting spot -- as always thanks for the updates!

Back