Revive Diamond Lapping Compound

itsme_Bernie

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hey Folks!
If I am posting in the wrong forum please point me in the right direction

I have some Norton diamond lapping compounds in syringes that I purchased second hand "NOS" several years ago. Some of them appear to be dried up, and some only dried up near the tip.
As you can imagine, I would love to able to use them. I imagine I could insert some honing oil, or empty what I can out and try to mix with honing oil or mineral oil and put it back into the syringe?
If anyone has a better idea what type of oil is best used in these syringes, or if I should treat the dry compound to "loosen it up" before suspending again in oil I am all ears!

Thanks for any advice you folks can offer!

Bernie

IMG_3552__.jpg

IMG_3550_D.jpgIMG_3549_.jpgIMG_3546_D.jpg

The current need is to charge a leather strop to sharpen blades and knives. This is not lapping to achieve a tolerance for a fit, but I definitely would like to be able to for some upcoming projects.

Do you guys think I should do my best to remove all the contents, mix thoroughly with the oil, and get it back into the syringe?

Bernie

Sounds like a messy proposition, but it sounds like the best way to mix all the contents and return it to the syringe.

If you don’t use it much, or in great quantities, you could mix it as you need it.
The diamond itself will remain unaffected in either condition

My diamond lapping compound is almost 20 years old and has thickened as well. I can still force it out of the syringe so I thin it with light oil when I use it. If yours is too dry to force out, you might try drawing some oil into the syringe to soften the paste. Hopefully, it will soften enough to be able to eject it.

I’m curious to hear your results using the diamond compound with the leather strop. I’ve always used rouge on my strop.

The current need is to charge a leather strop to sharpen blades and knives. This is not lapping to achieve a tolerance for a fit, but I definitely would like to be able to for some upcoming projects.

Do you guys think I should do my best to remove all the contents, mix thoroughly with the oil, and get it back into the syringe?

Bernie
no, just get it wet. push the oil in, it may come out in a spit.. so don't push too hard, put oil on what spit out if it didn't get wet / loose enough. I can't find my lapping pastes right now.. but you made me curious as I haven't used it in a few years.

I’m curious to hear your results using the diamond compound with the leather strop. I’ve always used rouge on my strop.
Diamond paste on strops is just another intermediate. It cuts the steel, but leather with rouge or chromium oxide (or without) is always the final step to a mirror edge. Speaking for blades, of course. Lapping compound has many other uses.

Back