seanb

Registered
Registered
I ecently won this muffle furnace at an auction
i am thinking about adding a PID to it

Has anyone done that?
Any advice?

I have not tested it yet because as you can see it has no controls

I got it with some other stuff so its basically free.

If it doesnt work how expensive would it be to rebuild it

ney1 (2).jpg
ney2.jpg

ney3.jpg

I picked up Cress kiln a while back and will be adding a PID controller with soak capabilities. It looks pretty straight forward. This is a good how-to video. I'm a fan of Automation Direct. I bought my VFD from them and they are great to deal with.

Thanks guys, I plugged it in last night and it started warming up so I think it’s still functional

Not sure where the heating elements are on it though

I installed a PID control on an industrial machine. Bought it from Automation Direct. That was over 10 years ago still works fine.
While programing it I didn't understand something and had to call their help line. Took them 5 minutes to get me straightened out.
An OEM replacement was $843, The Automation Direct one was about $140 & was made in Japan. I also had to buy a power supply for it to match the machine. That was very cheap. The instructions for programing are available on the Automation Direct web site. All sorts of ramping, set points etc.

I’ve done this. Go to eBay, search for “PID controller kit”. They come with an excellent controller, a K type thermocouple, which is what you want, and a solid state relay (SSR) that switches the AC line power directly. About $24 for everything.

The controller has a self learn mode to set the PID coefficients, so no need to brush up on control theory.

Last edited:
I have used the $25 Temperature controllers with included the thermocouple and solid state relay. The replacement part from the oven manufacturer was over $800. I guess a new oven is $15000 but it's been running with the $25 unit since I swapped it over.

It's an insulated box with a door, a vent, elements, maybe a fan, and control. save your money for fun things.

Thanks guys, I plugged it in last night and it started warming up so I think it’s still functional

Not sure where the heating elements are on it though

That was going to be my question. It looked to me that the elements had been removed. It might just be a low temp heat treating oven, maybe 500º F tops.

I did a search on the internet, this unit is rated up to 2000F. From the images I see online I don't see any of the elements so they might be under the base plate. The wire in the back appears to be the temp sensor.

1612635914297.png1612635934944.png

Back