Rethread to more common thread?

Single pointing is cutting the threads on a lathe. If you do not have a lathe.

IF the tie rod is hardened It may not weld real good. The frame uses structure to reduce the load on any one weld, This would be a simple but joint of likely dissimilar metals.

Why not put a sleeve over the rod, plug weld the tube to the rod and the Weld the ends. Have the appropriate threaded rod at one end.

Can you post pics of what you are working with and trying to do?

I'm trying to extend this. I don't know exactly how much I need yet, which is why I wanted to use threaded rod so I can cut it down to the length I need. Seems like standard 3/8 is pretty close, but thread pitch is off. I can get 2 or 3 threads before it binds up. So I'm thinking I'll just get some of that, wrench a coupler on the male end hard then weld it some, then wrench the rod into the female end hard and weld it too. That'll be my cheapest option, and not a lot of work either.

Attachments

• IMG_20210108_195539.jpg
    IMG_20210108_195539.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210108_195640.jpg
    IMG_20210108_195640.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
I would probably just make another rod and drill and tap or thread the right female end. Ah, I get it. No lathe, need a lefthand tap.
Humm...

You’re just going to have to get a lathe.

I would probably just make another rod and drill and tap or thread the right female end. Ah, I get it. No lathe, need a lefthand tap.
Humm...

You’re just going to have to get a lathe.
I only need to extend one side. And as much as I want a lathe, I can't afford even a cheap one from Harbor Freight. Do you have one you'd be willing to sell me? I could go as high as maybe $50 US.

To stretch what you have.
I would find some steel tubing that has an ID to match the OD of your current sleeve, and at least the same wall thickness. then cut your current sleeve in half and weld the stubs into the new tubing by welding all around the end and also a couple of plug welds near the inside end of the stubs.
This will leave you with a rod that is as strong or stronger than the original is still fully adjustable, ends replaceable and you are not welding to the ends and messing up their heat treating.

To stretch what you have.
I would find some steel tubing that has an ID to match the OD of your current sleeve, and at least the same wall thickness. then cut your current sleeve in half and weld the stubs into the new tubing by welding all around the end and also a couple of plug welds near the inside end of the stubs.
This will leave you with a rod that is as strong or stronger than the original is still fully adjustable, ends replaceable and you are not welding to the ends and messing up their heat treating.
I think I like this idea. But what if instead I cut the center, then thread them in the middle (assuming they're not solid, or that I can safely drill them out with my drill press), basically making the center pieces into two adapters? That would leave a lot more options open I think, and no welding necessary.

EDIT: Just checked, it is solid in the middle, but I still like the idea of drilling it out and threading it. I have a drill press, and I think I can work it out well enough. I'll just need to buy a 3/8 tap.

Last edited:
As mentioned above, cut the center portion in half. Grind the square portion down to fit in some 1/2" black pipe and weld it. Almost free and safe!

Back