Restoring (hopefully) my new Smart and Brown SAB

Great progress!

Do you have a photo of what the part looks like? Trying to visualize what it is...

Great progress!

Do you have a photo of what the part looks like? Trying to visualize what it is...

It’s this handle that’s used to slacken the pulley assembly to move the belts to a different pulley.

2b9e38ad4ca272fd0c99ddc6b401f5ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve come to realise that taking my time and doing a perfectionist job on this is not what I want right now. I must have 30 hours in the tear down, cleaning and painting so far and to do a perfect job I think I’d have 30 more (which with two kids, job, life etc is more than I have time for now). I’m now aiming at ‘presentable’ and fully cleaned and functional rather than perfect so I can actually get on and use the lathe.

It has been said here that "Perfect is the enemy of done".

Brian

Thanks Craig. I don’t have the broken off part though, so I’m not sure brazing would work, would it? I’m guessing I’ll need to remake the part of buy a replacement?

But looking at it now... you should be able to make a handle and attach it to it...

But looking at it now... you should be able to make a handle and attach it to it...

I think the issue is that the threaded part that the handle should screw in to is snapped in half. The handle should be easy enough to make, but making the part that the handle screws in to (the lever mechanism in the pulley assembly) could be harder. I’ll try and take it apart some time soon to see what the part I need to remake looks like.

Thanks Craig. I don’t have the broken off part though, so I’m not sure brazing would work, would it? I’m guessing I’ll need to remake the part of buy a replacement?
Were it me, I think I'd braze on a piece that would then be drilled and tapped to receive the handle. I'd cut or grind away the threaded remnants before starting. But I'm just an armchair quarterback (or is that a weird North American idiom to you?).

Craig

It has been said here that "Perfect is the enemy of done".

Brian
I learned, the hard way from this forum, that "Better" is also the enemy of "Good" :)

Good stuff. So true.
It’s this handle that’s used to slacken the pulley assembly to move the belts to a different pulley.

2b9e38ad4ca272fd0c99ddc6b401f5ed.jpg

That looks a lot different than my South Bend 9..... I dunno what that means. I dunno what models or vintages were licenced in whatever ways...
Anyhow, that cam/lever that's broken, while brazing would be an excellent repair IF you had the missing parts, actually looks pretty simple. But I wonder, what if you focused not on the break, but on the whole part? You've got two "pins" whose axis' should be parallel to each other, but no particular spacing is required, so long as it's kinda close. two widths that should be narrow enough not to pinch, but a little wiggle room won't make it not function. You've got a lever projecting off of it that has to be kind of "about that way", but again, not perfect (or not even close, as long as you tried a little bit), and you'd have a fully functional part. If one had a milling machine in their future, that could be carved from a single block of steel, but it'd be wasteful. Or a couple of pieces and welded. Or one piece for the cam (the part still on the lathe), and drilled and tapped for a separate steel handle. So many options, but I'd suspect that until the missing piece or a proper replacement present themselves it might be a lot less difficult to remake a functional part than to repair the existing one.

If you do go that route, don't forget to keep your eye out for the correct stuff. The best way to make something permanent, is to call it good enough for now.

Were it me, I think I'd braze on a piece that would then be drilled and tapped to receive the handle. I'd cut or grind away the threaded remnants before starting. But I'm just an armchair quarterback (or is that a weird North American idiom to you?).

Craig

I’m not too familiar with brazing. I’ll take a look in to it a bit more (I’ve seen some YouTube stuff, but not much)

I get the arm chair quarterback reference - we get a lot of American TV over here, so it’s come up a fair few times

Good stuff. So true.

That looks a lot different than my South Bend 9..... I dunno what that means. I dunno what models or vintages were licenced in whatever ways...
Anyhow, that cam/lever that's broken, while brazing would be an excellent repair IF you had the missing parts, actually looks pretty simple. But I wonder, what if you focused not on the break, but on the whole part? You've got two "pins" whose axis' should be parallel to each other, but no particular spacing is required, so long as it's kinda close. two widths that should be narrow enough not to pinch, but a little wiggle room won't make it not function. You've got a lever projecting off of it that has to be kind of "about that way", but again, not perfect (or not even close, as long as you tried a little bit), and you'd have a fully functional part. If one had a milling machine in their future, that could be carved from a single block of steel, but it'd be wasteful. Or a couple of pieces and welded. Or one piece for the cam (the part still on the lathe), and drilled and tapped for a separate steel handle. So many options, but I'd suspect that until the missing piece or a proper replacement present themselves it might be a lot less difficult to remake a functional part than to repair the existing one.

If you do go that route, don't forget to keep your eye out for the correct stuff. The best way to make something permanent, is to call it good enough for now.

I’m leaning towards making a new part to do the job. I took a look tonight at it and I think I can quite easily get the cam/lever off and essentially try to copy it. My new Mill arrives on Monday, so it feels like a fun project that’d help me learn a lot. I’ll get the piece off sometime soon and take a picture and post it up

Back