Restoring Atlas mill

JMBrewer

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Quick question for those who have already been down this road. When replacing the badges, name plates on the Atlas mill does anyone have a good suggestion about where to pick up the drive rivets to attach these with and happen to know what size I need to get? Thanks JMB

I just bought an assorted pack off of E-bay when I needed to remove and reinstall my badges.

No specific to the miller but some years ago I was able to buy them through Fastenal. As I recall they went by the term “drive screws” as opposed to drive rivet. Fastenal no longer deals with non-commercial customers here but I don’t know about your area.

McMaster Carr has them.

Perfect. I'll check them out. Thanks guys

From the 1930's through the early 1980's, Atlas apparently never used but one size of drive screw on lathes, mills and shapers. The probably late 1960's vintage part number that Clausing assigned to it was 145966. The nameplate (blank) part number assigned to the later nameplates was 10F-176. The generic screw description is #2 x 3/16" P.K. Drive Screw. McMaster is probably where I would first look for them. Although you will probably have to buy more of them than you will need. A well-stocked Ace Hardware night also have them. They will be more expensive but if they have them, you can buy only two there. Whether or not that nameplate will work on a mill or not I don't know. And my MFA is not currently available for looking. But it should work on all of the 10" and both versions of the 12" lathes. Although it has a space for the serial number.

One more question, I've noticed that the internal morse taper in the spindle is pretty nicked up. I was thinking of running a MT 2 Finishing reamer through if to see if that would clean it up. I figured it would be worth a try since I suspect finding a spindle replacement wouldn't be easy. Does that seem like a reasonable plan to y'all?

Back