Resistance Start- Induction Run Motor

I've played around with adding a start capacitor to such a resistance-split-phase motor. I don't recall the exact details and results, but it seemed to help, by reducing the current through the start winding and increasing the phase shift. Your mileage .... Of course, once the motor is up to speed and the cent switch open, it makes no difference. I happen to have a split-phase motor on my drill press because it was handy at the time. On a couple of very cold mornings it's been unable to come up to speed and the start winding would likely have burnt out if I hadn't shut it down. On the other hand, adding a run capacitor can sometimes noticeably improve the performance of a motor and may salvage a marginal installation. Overall, I think this sort of tinkering is better done on a capacitor-start motor because the start windings are more robust.

Alan

This type of motor does work on a drill press
I have use a cooler motor on my mill it has two speeds work great in my small shop
If I some one was using all day long I would use a cap start motor with SF of at less 1.15
Some motor are not wire for Reverse this can be done just find the two wire use the start (The smallest wire in the motor winding) just use for your reversing switch by switch them .

Dave

Back