Resharpening reamers

9t8z28

Registered
Registered
I know reamers are cheap so its not commonly discussed how to resharpen them. I already have a basic understanding of how to resharpen the leading chamfer as this is commonly done and what does the initial cutting but what I really want to know is how to resharpen the flutes. I am aware that this will reduce the size of the reamer and that's actually what I am after. I have searched high and low looking for common margin and land angles of the radial flutes. Machinery's Handbook and the like don't seem to cover it unless I am just not seeing it. Does anyone know where I might find these angles and do the angles change as the reamer gets larger? I would assume the angles change for larger reamers as they do for end mills. I have the tools to resharpen straight and spiral flute reamers so thats not an issue.
I am starting with a 5/8" straight flute reamer. Is there a good way I can measure these angles myself?

Can't be done by hand. You'll need to set it up in a tool and cutter grinder or some other grinder to do this.

Ted

Can't be done by hand. You'll need to set it up in a tool and cutter grinder or some other grinder to do this.

Ted
Correct, as I stated in my opening post I already have the machinery and fixtures to accomplish this. I need to know the angles to grind them. Do you have any info or literature or can you point me in the right direction to source this info?

If the goal is to re-size a reamer, a lot of times the OD is spun in a rotary fixture and ground down to size and then the clearance angle is ground in a second operation.

Ted

If the goal is to re-size a reamer, a lot of times the OD is spun in a rotary fixture and ground down to size and then the clearance angle is ground in a second operation
But what is the clearance angle?
I didn't realize from your post that you have all the proper equipment.

Here you go for a grinding manual:

Ted
The pages for sharpening reamers are missing from the Vintage Machinery PDF link you provided. Like all other sources, they cover sharpening end mills and saws and the like but ignore reamers.

Who says reamers are cheap?
I’ve been trying to buy some on eBay but the price keeps me walking away.
I’m to the point, I think, I’ll buy what I need when I need it.

Page 33 clearly states the cutting angles for the different types of material desired to be cut. It's part of chapter II, Milling cutters and reamers. You'll have to read that chapter to learn and understand how to do it and how to set up your equipment to get the desired clearance angles. Chucking reamers is also covered on page 53, but pages 36-39 instruct you how to produce the angles. There does seem to be a page missing. Here's a copy I took a picture of from my book.

Ted

PXL_20210424_232537049.jpg

If you can find this publication there are 10 pages 76-86 on different types of reamers and the various angles employed in sharpening them. Its way too big a file to post here I think.

-frank
7D7472DB-B05F-4B4C-A5F9-C1F7AC77791D.png

Back