Requests for: “You can make /that/ with a lathe?!?” examples

Use it like a shaper :)

Stu
Oh, love this. Shaper’s fascinate me. I like the idea of a single point cutting tool on a swivel that moves on a plane. I like the idea of being able to grind the tools for it like a lathe’s. I wish there was - or was a market for - a motorized shaper like the old ones you see in the UK and EU. I’d love to buy one, but understand that cheap mills probably means there’s no longer a market. So, it’s Craigslist or building something like the Gingery shaper some day.

A lathe is the only tool that can make itself.
This is an old saw and it may have been true for making a primitive lathe but you would be hard pressed to make a modern metal lathe using only a lathe.

OTOH, a milling machine can function as a lathe by mounting the work piece in the spindle and tooling on the table. I have done this using my Tormach CNC to essentially function as a CNC lathe. To further facilitate using my mill as a lathe, I designed an adjustable tool post for my Tormach that will permit the use of my old 4 way tool post from my lathe.

Cutting external threads using a manual mill would be an issue but a CNC mill with 4th axis capability or the use of a thread mill will solve that issue. Likewise, cutting a taper.

Oh, love this. Shaper’s fascinate me. I like the idea of a single point cutting tool on a swivel that moves on a plane. I like the idea of being able to grind the tools for it like a lathe’s. I wish there was - or was a market for - a motorized shaper like the old ones you see in the UK and EU. I’d love to buy one, but understand that cheap mills probably means there’s no longer a market. So, it’s Craigslist or building something like the Gingery shaper some day.
I notice on instagram a lot of the chinese "custom parts for you" type services seem to have converted old shapers to cnc or at least partially automated.

Now I've said that I can't actually find one on instagram :)

Stu

It all depends. I was looking for both a lathe and a mill. A deal on a mill came up first so that is what I got first the lathe came 5 years later when I got sick of looking at worn out lathes for $4K and just bought a new one for $5K.
I made shafts on my mill, some with threads, both internal and eternal. I have been considering making a "turners cube" on the mill just to be different. Yes either machine can make almost anything, But some things are super simple on one machine and major work on the other.

OTOH, a milling machine can function as a lathe by mounting the work piece in the spindle and tooling on the table.
It also seems like people have their preference.

I’ve got a friend who bends over backwards to avoid bending over front ways at the lathe. If he can figure a way to do it in the mill, he will.

I tend to see the way with a lathe more easily. And have been most impressed by fellows with nothing but a lathe and drill press in their shops.

I’ve got a friend who bends over backwards to avoid bending over front ways at the lathe. If he can figure a way to do it in the mill, he will.

I tend to see the way with a lathe more easily. And have been most impressed by fellows with nothing but a lathe and drill press in their shops.
Make no mistake, I will always choose the lathe for lathe work. My first machine was an Atlas/Craftsman 6 x 18 lathe and it was ten years before I bought my first mill. Until then, I got by with a drill press, a grinder, and hack saw and files.

I use the mill as a vertical lathe solely because it is CNC and can accomplish things that I can't accomplish on my manual lathe. An example would be cutting pipe threads. Without a taper attachment on the lathe, it would be an impossibility. (Note: I can also cut tapered threads on a CNC mill with a thread mill, assuming I have a thread mill)

I built my CNC mill with just a lathe and a drill press. I’m happy to have my baby Bridgeport now but if I had to give up one I’d definitely keep the lathe.

One thing that hasn’t really been mentioned is the learning you do with the lathe. Grinding HSS tool bits, feeds and speeds, use of cutting fluids, all things that are easier to see and understand on a lathe.

It’s kinda like learning to weld with oxy/acetylene. Yes, mig will get results quick but understanding how to keep the puddle going with flame yields basic skills that serve well with other methods.

John

It all depends. I was looking for both a lathe and a mill. A deal on a mill came up first so that is what I got first the lathe came 5 years later when I got sick of looking at worn out lathes for $4K and just bought a new one for $5K.
I made shafts on my mill, some with threads, both internal and eternal. I have been considering making a "turners cube" on the mill just to be different. Yes either machine can make almost anything, But some things are super simple on one machine and major work on the other.
That's close to the path I'll likely follow. At the moment, I have a 3D printer and am building a PrintNC. Can't chase thousandths/microns with either of those, but they are useful to me on their terms. Eventually, I'll probably buy a Precision Matthews lathe and milling machine, each in the $5K range. I don't have enough experience to evaluate used mills and lathes, and Blondihacks' #notsponsored discussion about them vs. the other importers in this price range makes me think it's the safest path.

I first bought a small benchtop lathe and it was both immediately useful and taught me a lot about precision machining. I made a bunch of items with it before I bought my mill, and I still use it quite a bit -- for many jobs it's the best tool for the task at hand. It's not an either/or thing, they both are great tools to have in your shop.

Use it like a shaper :)

Stu

I did exactly that to make a keyway in my slitting saw arbor simply because i didn't have the correct size end mill on hand, but i did have a piece of hss the correct width. It was SMALL, but still took a lot of patience taking .001" at a time swipes. But it got the job done!

Back