Request: shopping list to begin learning scraping

Probablygrigsby

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I’d like to start learning to hand scrape. When my kids leave home and I have disposable income again, I’d like to take Richard King’s scraping class. In the meantime, I’d like to learn what I can on my own by trial and error and YouTube. Christmas is coming up, so I’m going to ask for scraping gear to get started. I know some of what‘s needed, have some questions, and am surely missing something.

Here’s my shopping list so far:
  • Surface plate
  • Scraper handle - I would appreciate recommendations. What do you think of this one, or should I buy the Dapra Biax Universal Hand Scraper?
  • Scraper blades - I don’t know how many, what width/length, what brand. Let’s say, just for sizing purposes, I wanted to scrape a 12” cast iron straightedge.
  • Blade holders? I think the Hudson hand scraper needs them and maybe the Biax doesn’t?
  • Dykem high spot blue / Prussian blue and a roller to spread it.
I’d be grateful for input, corrections, additions, whatever. I’m trying to do my own homework, so to speak, but sometimes I don’t have some knowledge that people assume you already know.

My personal fav is Stefan Gottswinter, much more coherent than Richard King’s approach even though he learned from him.

My personal fav is Stefan Gottswinter, much more coherent than Richard King’s approach even though he learned from him.

I used to watch Stefan quite a lot then I realized I would never need to or be able to achieve the accuracy of his kind. Also he seems to have a better than everyone else attitude. Not something a hobby machinist like me can use.

I can certainly help you on your journey .

If you send me an email at
Ulmadoc@gmail.com

I have a hand scraper I would be willing to donate to the cause
That’s incredibly generous! I’ll send you an email :)

I see you live in Tracy. When I was a kid, I took flight lessons and practiced takeoffs and landings at the Tracy Airport. I think that was the town with the old style windmill farm between it and the Bay Area. Good memories.

Thanks again!!!

Back