Request from beginner

JPigg55

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
A lot of good info/links here, but I'd like to request a couple more things from those more experienced.
1. How to chose the right tool for the job/material. Is there a method to slecting one type of cutter over another for a specific metal ? In the instance of milling, what do I base the cutter on besides operation (i.e 2 flute, 4 flute, face milling, plunge milling, large diameter vs small diameter tool, etc.).
2. Threading. What factors should be considered when deciding on threads i.e. NC,NF, etc. ?
3. Chuck, collet, or face plate. Besides material size/ goemetry, what other factors do you consider for which to use ?
4. Making holes. What determines which machine to use besides hole size (I realize cutting a 1" hole is not something one would do on a drill press or use a lathe for offset holes in a large part) ?

1. How to chose the right tool for the job/material. Is there a method to selecting one type of cutter over another for a specific metal? In the instance of milling, what do I base the cutter on besides operation (i.e 2 flute, 4 flute, face milling, plunge milling, large diameter vs small diameter tool, etc.).

2-Flute. Normally used in softer materials like aluminum where greater clearance is needed for the chips. Also used for slotting in steel, where a 4-Flute would tend to walk sideways and create a slot (or keyway) wider than intended. There are special endmills for use in aluminum; they have greater chip clearance and a faster spiral.

4-Flute (or more). Normally used in steel. Higher material removal and feed rate than a 2-Flute because of having more cutting edges.

Face milling is normally used to flatten a surface in preparation for another operation. I normally choose the largest cutter that the mill will drive (or what I have available) just to get the maximum material removal rate.

For plunge milling, a center cutting end mill is required. Endmills don’t really like to plunge; they tend to walk around a bit. If I need to plunge, I will normally drill a pilot hole where the plunge needs to occur.

Normally larger is better because of higher material removal rates and stiffness. Use the largest cutter consistent with the job parameters.

2. Threading. What factors should be considered when deciding on threads i.e. NC, NF, etc.?

Normally I use course threads in everything, especially in soft materials like aluminum, cast iron, and other low tensile strength materials. There are entire books written on this subject.

3. Chuck, collet, or face plate. Besides material size/ geometry, what other factors do you consider for which to use?

Work size and geometry are the primary factors. If I need to work on both ends of a shaft and need to make sure that the ends are concentric, then I will choose a 4-jaw over a 3-jaw. Where possible I will normally use a collet chuck if the part will fit.

4. Making holes. What determines which machine to use besides hole size (I realize cutting a 1" hole is not something one would do on a drill press or use a lathe for offset holes in a large part)?

If I need to accurately locate a hole, the milling machine is the answer. For a quick hole, the drill press is normally a quicker setup. Larger holes require more horsepower and more machine stability.

ok as no ones jumped in yet I'll give my opinions :)

The most economical cutters are what I goto first, this isn't the case if your making parts for money and dead lines but as a casual machinist it's silly to blunt an expensive mill hollowing something out that could have been cut with something less accurate and cleaned up with milling(although to be fair hacksaw blades can be quite expensive).

2 and 3 flute can be used to cut on two sides simultaneously (slotting) , a small diameter 4 flute will explode if you try this.

4 flute generally can't plunge as the end face cutting edges don't overlap.

Fly cutters can produce good finishes and are very cheep as your using lath HSS tool blanks.

Unless their is a specific nead for a certain thread for compatibility with somthing else I use standard metric course threads, almost no hardware shops in the UK stock metric fine threaded bolts or nuts.

As you mention NC and NF the same sort of logic applies, don't thread things with holes you cant easily find bolts for (unless theirs a special reason too)

3, All of them :)

Face Plates are good for difficult to hold(in a chuck) parts and flat stuff also you can make fixtures to hold parts to the face plate in repeatable ways.

Collet's can be very repeatable and very fast to put work in. I only have an ER32 milling collet set up currently but a collet chuck for the lathe is definitely on my list. I have used morse taper collets for work holding with some sucsess but had issues with not a complete set and the clamping ranges are too small(per collet).

3 jaw chuck, very quick , cheep ones and worn out ones will not close down very repeatedly. A good 3 jaw chuck can be very good (he says thinking of my Bison that closes down with sub 1000th repeatability(I was amazed when I discovered this)) most of the 3 jaws cucks I have are incapable of closing down within 10-20 th's

If the part can stay in the chuck without being removed for any reason this dosn't matter too much.

4 Jaw chuck, handy for offset stuff, although this can sometimes be problematic if your 4 jaw isn't massive.

Can be dialed to exactly true running when putting a part into the chuck that has been out(takes practice and more practice but becomes quicker quickly).

Holes are a whole section to them selves, the tool of choice probably depends upon the purpose of the hole. Is it a clearance hole for a bolt to pass through or is it going to be threaded after it's been drilled or does it have to mate with a part.

If the holes going to get something like a dowl pin then carfull drilling and the use of a reamer may be the easyis't way to hit the required size but drill bits can wander so maybe a very undersized drill then a boring head to make sure it's in the right place and passes through the work perpendicular (if thats whats wanted) then maybe a reamer if the tolerance is very tight.

Again cost comes in hear, reamers are expensive but very quick for what they do, boring the hole on a lathe can requires much setup, I don't have a boring head for my mill (every one seems to say power down feed makes them much better which makes sense) they look very quick to set up, although on a face plate for a lath it may be just as quick (nearly)

I've run 6 inch hole saws through some 3mm steel on the mill for a flue pipe, that sort of went ok. Be careful of sheet material grabbing on drills and spinning and cutting you, this is very bad.

Hope some of this helps, :)

A couple of pointers, (thease are just thrown in for no perticular reason apart from i've got into a bit of a ramble)

If it sounds like somethings really not liking whats happening stop and check it out.

Small mills(milling cutter) and drills want to go at insainly high RPM, much easier to brake small mills than large ones.

Always ware safety goggles when using grinders (wire wheels too!!) :)

Don't start off set work pieces at high rpm on the lathe, start low, move up in PRM and back down again when the lathe starts hopping about. or counter balence it thats probably a better plan.

Stuart

There is nothing I can add to what Jim and Stuart have already said. Good coverage here,

"Billy G"

I forgot to say, I've really got into turning between centers for shafts and anything thats got to be removed for test fits or flipping end to end. It's one of the easiest ways to get good repeatability.

Stuart

Great stuff, thanks everyone.
Don't limit your input to the specifics I asked, any input is appriciated.
I plan on contacting one of the moderators with all the input conglomerated to put in a sticky for easy finding and reference.

I think it's a great idea. Just need to remove as much opinion and fluff so it's to the point info. I have a stack of papers from my teacher. Most are copies of his notes or papers his teacher gave him. It's just so hard for me to figure what would be good to have and what would be repetitive or what not. I'll keep an eye on this thread maybe get some ideas

I think it's a great idea. Just need to remove as much opinion and fluff so it's to the point info.

That what I wanted to start this for, to glean as much helpful info as possible more on methods and thought processes and edit it down to the pertinent info for a STICKY post.
As a Newbie myself, I'll volunteer to take the info posted along with any input from others that's helpful/useful/good to know and edit it together.
So hit me with anything you can think of. Scanned documents (as long as it's not copyrited), personnal experience, short cuts, opinions even, all is welcome and wanted.
I've found tons of info and opinions on equipment, tooling, and other things, but how to use them is spotty and hard to find. A conglomeration of that info without all the fluff placed in an easy to fing Sticky reference to me would be ideal for someone just starting out.

Heres what I happen to have on my comp already. I have a few that are pages from books that I did not load. But I dont think it would matter because it is just tech info. Fact sheets or constants or what not like tap drill chart

Scan0002 (9).jpgScan0002 (10).jpgScan0002.jpgScan0003.jpg

Scan0002 (2).jpg Scan0002 (3).jpg Scan0002 (4).jpg Scan0002 (6).jpg Scan0002 (8).jpg Scan0002 (9).jpg Scan0002 (10).jpg Scan0002.jpg Scan0003.jpg

Thanks everyone, keep it coming.
A new post in the beginners about thread cutting thread got me thinking, beyond "How to", what other info is pertinent. Do certain threads require certain cutters ? Is cutter angle critical ? Does anyone have a chart or reference for thread cutting for depth, angle, etc ?
In a different thread, I'd asked if there was a source for charts/posters for quick reference to hang on shop walls or quick reference book one could put together.
Someone posted Clausing had them for sale, but I couldn't find them on the Clausing website.
How about sources (and links) where one could aquire them ?

People have already posted some great info on choosing cutters for a mill, how about some for lathe work ?
When to use left hand, right hand cutters, etc ?
Reference charts/poster and or links to get them for speeds & feeds.

Drill size for threading references, anything you think would be useful.

Last edited:
Back