Request for photos of the bottom of the Atlas 10" and early Craftsman 12" headstock.

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Request for photos of the bottom of the Atlas 10" and early (i.e., 3/8" bed) Craftsman 12" headstock.

I own two Craftsman lathes. The 42” bed is model number 101.07403 SN 16014 and the 54” is model 101.07403 SN 22500. The headstocks are identical and if I’m interpreting the database correctly, they appear to be built around 1946 on the 42 and 1948 for the 54. The pictures below are of SN 16014.

1 Lathes.JPG
2 HS.JPG
3 HS.JPG
4 HS.JPG
5 HS.JPG
6 HS.JPG
7 HS.JPG

Best,
Kelly

I can get some pics tomorrow, as I will be playing in the garage then, woo! I will only be able to get a couple angles from the outside unlike kcoffield and those awesome pics! If you don’t mind me asking, what are you looking at/for on the atlas wa5cab? That way I could take better pics.

I know that I saw these photos back when they were first posted but at the time certainly wasn't thinking of if one were going to try it, how practical was it to convert a 10" or early 12" to under-drive. But the four photos that would help would be #2 and #4 above plus #3 and #7 with the spindle removed. And AFAIK, the same four would suffice for the 10".

So all please forgive me for saying yesterday or Sunday that no one had ever taken the photos that would answer the question of whether or not it would be practical.

Back