Request for advice for the best lathe for a makerspace

john.obrien

Registered
Registered
I own and operate a small makerspace in Waltham, MA. We currently have a Harbor Freight 7 x 16 mini-lathe.

I am hoping to apply for a grant to get a new lathe, and could use some advice. I have attempted to answer the questions indicated in the "Guidelines when asking buying advice" below. There are a dizzying array of lathe options available, and I am hoping folks can help me narrow the choices down to a single brand. Any recommendations on what lathe would be best to ask for for the grant would be appreciated.

What is Your Knowledge & Experience with Lathes?

I took a class on basic manual machining many years ago, and have used the mini lathe off and on since. The lathe would be used to teach new makerspace members machining and also for folks who are experienced with machining to make parts for their projects, so the intended user would range from no experience to moderate experience.

Machine & Tooling Budget?

Budget is about $17k for the machine and tooling. I think some of the tooling from the mini lathe and the milling machines we already have in the makerspace can be re-used.

Lathe Functions?

Thread cutting without having to physical remove and replace gears would be great, ideally in inch and metric, with a DRO.

Type/Size of Intended Workpieces?

Some members have expressed an interest in gunsmithing, others have expressed in interest in small work pieces. I was aiming for the 14 x 40 size.

Materials of Intended Workpieces?

Intended workpieces would range all the way from plastic to steel.

Physical Size of Lathe?

There is space for a 1440 lathe (6 feet by 3 feet of floor space)

What Electrical Power is Available?

A 220V single phase 15 AMP outlet is already in place along with ample 120v power. 3 Phase power is available to the building but would require additional funding to put in. The space has a loading dock and it is a straight shot from the loading dock to the makerspace. The lathe would have to fit through two double doors.

Market Conditions in Your Area?

Right now I'm focusing on buying new. If I don't get the grant I'll focus on buying used in the area. Occasionally good opportunities arise (I bought a Bridgeport clone for $900 two months ago that I am happy with) but they are few and far between.

Rebuild Project vs Turn-Key Machine?

Right now I am focusing on buying new. The grant cycle is such that I apply now, would find out if I got the grant or not in the fall, and then would purchase the machine in Q1 2025. So, the used market is tricky, as it is harder to know whether a used machine will be available in Q1 of 2025.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome.

A 14x40 machine will be good for your stated requirements and $17k budget should cover the machine and basic tooling.

As for buying a new machine, lots of members here have been happy with forum sponsor Precision Matthews. I'd suggest you reach out to them and let them know what you're looking for.

John

I own and operate a small makerspace in Waltham, MA. We currently have a Harbor Freight 7 x 16 mini-lathe.

I am hoping to apply for a grant to get a new lathe, and could use some advice. I have attempted to answer the questions indicated in the "Guidelines when asking buying advice" below. There are a dizzying array of lathe options available, and I am hoping folks can help me narrow the choices down to a single brand. Any recommendations on what lathe would be best to ask for for the grant would be appreciated.

What is Your Knowledge & Experience with Lathes?

I took a class on basic manual machining many years ago, and have used the mini lathe off and on since. The lathe would be used to teach new makerspace members machining and also for folks who are experienced with machining to make parts for their projects, so the intended user would range from no experience to moderate experience.

Machine & Tooling Budget?

Budget is about $17k for the machine and tooling. I think some of the tooling from the mini lathe and the milling machines we already have in the makerspace can be re-used.

Lathe Functions?

Thread cutting without having to physical remove and replace gears would be great, ideally in inch and metric, with a DRO.

Type/Size of Intended Workpieces?

Some members have expressed an interest in gunsmithing, others have expressed in interest in small work pieces. I was aiming for the 14 x 40 size.

Materials of Intended Workpieces?

Intended workpieces would range all the way from plastic to steel.

Physical Size of Lathe?

There is space for a 1440 lathe (6 feet by 3 feet of floor space)

What Electrical Power is Available?

A 220V single phase 15 AMP outlet is already in place along with ample 120v power. 3 Phase power is available to the building but would require additional funding to put in. The space has a loading dock and it is a straight shot from the loading dock to the makerspace. The lathe would have to fit through two double doors.

Market Conditions in Your Area?

Right now I'm focusing on buying new. If I don't get the grant I'll focus on buying used in the area. Occasionally good opportunities arise (I bought a Bridgeport clone for $900 two months ago that I am happy with) but they are few and far between.

Rebuild Project vs Turn-Key Machine?

Right now I am focusing on buying new. The grant cycle is such that I apply now, would find out if I got the grant or not in the fall, and then would purchase the machine in Q1 2025. So, the used market is tricky, as it is harder to know whether a used machine will be available in Q1 of 2025.
Never owned a new lathe nor even checked prices on them so can't help you there. I can say a 14" lathe is an excellent size. It will be a substantial machine that is capable of many, things and is not just a toy.
I would forgo the DRO but I'm kind of a luddite so...

Awesome job of answering the questions and working through the checklist! You painted a really clear picture of wants, expectations, and limitations all in one. Well done :encourage::encourage:

One member suggested the CNC Masters 1440 machine. Has anyone else had direct experience with the CNC Masters 1440? I'm read some reviews that are disparaging of the machine. Have folks had good or bad experiences with it?

In the meantime I'd figure out how to upgrade the electrical. 15 amps of single phase 220 is pretty limiting. Dave

Personally, I would look for used industrial grade machines, and work through a few reputable equipment dealers. High quality manual machines in excellent condition can be purchased for pennies on the dollar compared to new. Spending less on the machine itself will allow you to purchase more tooling.

My shop is outfitted almost exclusively with "old industrial iron". Ages range from the early 20th century to machines less than 10 years old. Most had been put out to pasture, not because they were worn out, but rather that they had been upgraded with newer faster, and in most cases automated machines.

You are in the heart of the machine tool building industry. There are currently dozens of machines listed on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist in your area. They range in price from a few hundred dollars to several thousand. There are names ranging from Harbor Freight to Hendy, Hardinge, Leblond, Clausing, Bridgeport, and more.

No matter what brand or size you buy you're going to need someone knowledgeable on the operation and repair of the machine. I would enlist the help of a Journeyman machinist or a Tool and Die Maker to assist you in your search. They should be able to easily determine which machines would best fit your purpose, and from there recognize which would be in good condition.

If you choose an older industrial grade machine you should be able to find one in excellent condition for 1/3 or less than the cost of new. You should also be able to find replacement parts when (not if) someone crashes the machine. I would agree with Mark in that for most beginners a DRO will be a distraction that could cause problems.

Back