Replicating the Tormach Tool System?

Hi again burdickjp

I understand your desire to remain totally metric. I went through the same phase myself but in the end decided to use a 1/2" draw bar so I could use the Tormach R8 to 3/4 collet. You realise that you can just buy a 3/4 MT3 collet with a metric 12mm thread and just grind 1mm off the front face. Because the Tormach chucks do have a recess around where the collet fits you might not even have to do that. See the Tormach website for details. They have lots of info on their system.

Also I think that you might like to consider how many Tormach chucks and holders you will need. The advantage of the Tormach system is that you have a chuck or adapter etc set up for every cutter you use. Each chuck is set up with a seperate end mill etc and the chucks are just swapped in and out as required. You dont want to be changing cutters in a single or few ER 32 chucks. That defeats the purpose of the Tormach system. I have lost count of the number of holders I now have but it exceeds 20 and I need more. Tormach chucks rapidly become expensive in those quantities.

Also this means that your collets are permanently tied up and not available for your lathe. You really require multiples of certain size ER collets to suit the std size end mills etc. ie 3, 6, 8, 10' 12mm collets, some for a slot drills some for 4 flute end mills etc. CTC tools in Hong Kong sell good quality ER collets at reasonable prices and you only have to buy the sizes you require. Search the Web as other hobbyists also recommend this supplier. My ER32 collet set is now reserved for use on my lathe. I dont use them on my mill even though I have a R8 shank ER 32 collet chuck for the mill.

Good luck with your deliberations. Hope you dont end up with too many tools that you eventually dont use. I went down the path of lots of R8 collets, end mill holders etc before I changed toTormach and now they never get used.
Cheers
Ron

I really appreciate your time here. Thank you.

I went looking for a 3/4" 3MT collet with an M12 drawbar and just plain could not find it.

I already had 3MT and 2MT ER32 collet chucks and a full set of metric ER32 collets, from CTC Tools. This lets me run ER32 collets in my mill spindle, lathe spindle, and lathe tailstock.

Right now I'm looking at starting small with the TTS holders. Setting them up for jobs where it makes sense and buying more chucks as I go along. I'm sure I will end up with lots of them, but for the time being s few will allow me to set up for a job, do it, and then tear down to be ready for the next job.

Back