Replacement motor for MFB mill

JMBrewer

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was wondering if anyone has replaced their stock motor on their Atlas mill and happen to remember the model number/make of motor they used? Getting close to the point where I need to start looking for a new motor and figured I'd start looking for a good price on a replacement.

Is your current motor having trouble starting? Too weak?
-M

Just restoring a pretty worn out mill that I knew would likely need a new motor when I bought it. I think I'd rather just replace with a new Dayton, etc.. from the get go when this is all back together then try to go through the stock motor and get it back to running shape. I'll hang on to the stock motor though to keep it all together in case I sell it at some point

Ugg. I would recommend something other than Dayton, they are cheaply made.
Your current motor may run just fine for years to come. Parts for many old motors are available
Fixing up your "prime mover" and being able to say "I did that" can be satisfying

Last edited:
My MFC had a Craftsman motor on it when I bought it. I replaced it with a Baldor Farm Duty (TEFC), not an inexpensive motor but ultra reliable. The mounting is a NEMA 56 frame, a pretty standard size for "fractional horsepower" motors. The C'man motor had a 1/2" shaft, most others today have a 5/8" shaft. The 1/2" size is rare today. I used a 1/3 HP motor because that is what the supplier normally stocks. 1/4 HP would do, 1/2 HP is pushing the top end. A 4 pole motor is preferred, ~1750 RPM. My MFC is set up with reversing, mostly for my own purposes.

Last edited:
Atlas recommended 1/3HP-1/2HP.

I don't think a 1/4HP would be sufficient. I had a 1/3HP on mine and upgraded to a 1/2HP. The gain was noticeable.

Back