Replacement lathe dials

helmbelly

Registered
Registered
I have an old lathe w/o any dial markings. I've always wanted to add one. I can't find anything at McMaster under lathe dials but prob not using right terminology for search- anyone know about replacement dials I could retrofit one way or another? I found adhesive calibration tape but I'm trying to avoid it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Related question, I have an old lathe w/o any dial markings. I've always wanted to add one. I can't find anything at McMaster under lathe dials but prob not using right terminology for search- anyone know about replacement dials I could retrofit one way or another? I found adhesive calibration tape but I'm trying to avoid it.

It's not going to be a "lego" part, it will be specific to the lathe by make and model. And/or any rebrands might be valid search terms as well.

Or, if the lathe was manufactured without them, it might be a DIY only type project, and may or may not be difficult if space was not allowed on the leadscrew.

Try searching for "graduated hand wheel dial". That leads to a few hits for existing parts, which may lead you to something that is out there and could be close enough to be easily modified to fit, and/or it might simply lead you to better search terms.

Any chance of pictures of the affected cranks/handwheels?

Related question, I have an old lathe w/o any dial markings. I've always wanted to add one. I can't find anything at McMaster under lathe dials but prob not using right terminology for search- anyone know about replacement dials I could retrofit one way or another? I found adhesive calibration tape but I'm trying to avoid it.
Sounds like a good case for a DRO.

John

Sounds like a good case for a DRO.

John
Right, i do have a DRO that I can clamp on but I tend to prefer a dial indicator fwhen accuracy is needed- My bad habit is cut, stop, measure repeat until the good enough bell goes off. I'd just like something for a quick look when zipping things thru, like my mom's lampshade a few weeks back

It's not going to be a "lego" part, it will be specific to the lathe by make and model. And/or any rebrands might be valid search terms as well.

Or, if the lathe was manufactured without them, it might be a DIY only type project, and may or may not be difficult if space was not allowed on the leadscrew.

Try searching for "graduated hand wheel dial". That leads to a few hits for existing parts, which may lead you to something that is out there and could be close enough to be easily modified to fit, and/or it might simply lead you to better search terms.

Any chance of pictures of the affected cranks/handwheels?
Right Jake, you're way ahead of me I went out and looked at it and everything you say was like a word cloud floating around the handwheels! I'll take a photo and get back tomorrow- thanks

I have an old lathe w/o any dial markings.
There are quite a few videos showing how people managed to index markings on scratch made dials. If you know the pitch of your lead screw you can make a dial to match.

Making an indexing attachment for the lathe​

Jonesey Makes
There are others that use a printed paper index.

Before getting my Index mill I looked into dials to adapt to my round column Jet-16. Th original dials on it weren’t adjustable. There are dials available as replacement parts. The common graduations are 60, 100 and 200 per revolution. I found a 3D printable one on Thingiverse that had 120 or 125 graduations. Grizzly sells replacement dials for their machines. The Bay has lots of replacemen dials including some for Bridgeports. You’ll probably have to sleeve or bore them to fit your screws but that’s easy enough.

I have an old lathe w/o any dial markings. I've always wanted to add one. I can't find anything at McMaster under lathe dials but prob not using right terminology for search- anyone know about replacement dials I could retrofit one way or another? I found adhesive calibration tape but I'm trying to avoid it.
My second lathe had problem.
I start out using a center punch for marks.
Later I used dial off other tools like Bridgeport.

Try this place and fide close match.

Dave

I made new ones for my Atlas lathe. It is covered under Replacement Compound Slide for Atlas 10. It is on the front page of the site with other notable projects.
Pierre

There are some small dials made for atlas lathes that might be put into service in a situation like this, depending on the size of your lathe. I have a Craftsman 101.21200, 6" ("618"} lathe that has tiny dials that are virtually unreadable. I have larger dials from Tallgrass Tools for both the crossslide and compound that I plan on installing. Will take a bit of custom machining to extend the crossslide feed screw and bushings, etc.

You can also find dials on eBay, parted from junker lathes/machines. I upgraded a friends SB 9" lathe with larger SB dials that made it direct reading. It also took a good bit of custom design. I happened to have the dials for that project, but not having them, I would have gone looking on eBay. I just did a search there using the string "graduated lathe dial" and came up with dozens, from various lathe brands and sizes. No telling what kind of custom fitting/fabrication that might be necessary.

Back