Replacement For Logan Headstock Double Row Bearing

Well now I am in the same boat. I am midway through a referb of my 1937. I'll come right out and say that I know very little about bearings. I figured I'd get the numbers off the OEM's that I pull and find replacements that match. It seems that is not the best option.

Is reusing the old ones a realistic option? How would I clean them for reuse?

Any advice on replacements?

Well, cleaning them is easy.... I went to Walmart, bought a turkey baster, that is the syringe thingy you baste your turkey with, also bought one of those metal drain screens. Seen here: https://www.walmart.com/ip/4.4-Diam...iner-Basin-Filter-Mesh-Sink-Strainer/45594267.

I placed the bearing in the strainer over a container that will catch fluids, then used the baster to use Kerosene to pour onto the bearing that way as the Kerosene runs thru the bearing it will dissolve the old grease. This process takes a while but you should notice a difference, now if you have a pump that can pump flammable fluids then instead of the baster you can use it to get a constant flo. DO NOT reuse the used Kerosene and run it thru again....putting the grit and crud back in is kinda silly.

Also would not recommend using a parts washer for the same reason.... dirty fluids are not your friend here.

Hope this helps

Richard

Thanks Richard. I'm sure that would be a good way to clean unsealed bearings, have done it many times. But these are sealed bearings.

I should ask what price is everyone getting from Logan? I don't see much in actual prices paid. Maybe this is actually a moot point, if they aren't going to be way out of range. I did see someone mention that he couldn't see spending $1000.00 for the Logan replacements! That got my attention, I can't spend that kind of money on this either. But if the price is within reason.

I replaced the bearings in my Model 200 headstock with Logan sourced bearings recently. The double row was $211.25. The other one, which can be purchased
from a bearing supply, was $30.75.

The old double row was sealed on one side with a metal shield, and open on the other. It
was a New Departure with the original Logan p/n on it.

Well I ran into a set of NOS new departure bearings that appear to be correct for my Logan 200. The only difference I can see in the set is the missing slot for the snap ring. I should be able to turn one into it. I manage to pay $68.00 shipped so maybe they will fit. :)

Paul

The beauty of Logan lathes is that aside from dedicated castings everything to repair them can be bought off the shelf. Sounds like there is some "special sauce" (or just MAGIC!) in the higher priced but identically marked bearings.

The beauty of Logan lathes is that aside from dedicated castings everything to repair them can be bought off the shelf. Sounds like there is some "special sauce" (or just MAGIC!) in the higher priced but identically marked bearings.

I'm certainly interested to see if these fit. If so it will be the first time I've seen the same bearing anywhere else. I will report back when I know for sure with bearing numbers. If they don't work then I will crawl away from this thread. :) After reporting that they don't work...with numbers.

Paul

Well I got the bearings installed and they fit just fine. I found NOS new departure bearings. One difference was that mine didn't have the groove for the snap ring. That wasn't too horrible. Except the casings on the bearings are quite hard. Don't expect to cut the groove with HSS I quickly burned up a tool tip trying. Which was OK because I had a carbide backup. That cut it just fine.

So for the double row. The new departure numbers on the box: 45507(MAX).ND and W0140457

For the single row: The New departure numbers on the box: 77506.ND and W0140461

It quieted my head stock down a bunch. I was really impressed. And I only paid $68.00 including shipping. What a deal.

Paul

Any change in spindle runout?

Unfortunately, I didn't test the spindle before pulling it. However, I did check right at the spindle behind the threads and it's maybe .0005? Might be less it's almost impossible to tell. Not a lot of movement between the 0 and the 1st thousandth on the dial. I was so excited to get a deal on the bearings I jumped at it. The ones I had apparently were more noisy than I had previously thought. Now 80% of the noise is from the gear rack when engaged. I'll have to check it again tomorrow just for kicks.

Paul

Back