Replacement 3 jaw lathe chucks

buckshot

Registered
Registered
Greetings folks,
I am having to replace my Atlas 12 inch Pedestal Lathe mod 3996 3 jaw chuck.....The chuck will not keep the work piece tight in the jaws.....I am wondering where you folks have gone to buy tooling or would go to find a good (hobby style) chuck that will not brake the bank....Thanks for your help....
Have fun,
buckshot

Most of the chucks I've purchased over the years have come from used equipment dealers. Between the 2 lathes I have well over a dozen 3 and 4 jaw chucks ranging in size from 3" to 10". The only one purchased new was the 3" one. All the others were $100.00 or less from equipment dealers.

One lathe uses the L00 series mount while the other uses a 1 7/16- 12 threaded mount. I've either modified existing backplates or made new ones for the 1 7/16-12 spindle. If you can find a good used chuck you can get a partially finished backplate from a number of vendors on eBay.

Most of the chucks I've purchased over the years have come from used equipment dealers. Between the 2 lathes I have well over a dozen 3 and 4 jaw chucks ranging in size from 3" to 10". The only one purchased new was the 3" one. All the others were $100.00 or less from equipment dealers.

One lathe uses the L00 series mount while the other uses a 1 7/16- 12 threaded mount. I've either modified existing backplates or made new ones for the 1 7/16-12 spindle. If you can find a good used chuck you can get a partially finished backplate from a number of vendors on eBay.

I've bought chucks on eBay, from equipment dealers, and new.

New is obvious- pay a lot, get the best possible chuck, be happy. Or, pay less than you should, get a lump of Chinese recycling with tooling marks in it, and do it again until you're happy.

Equipment dealers mostly have equipment that was removed in serviceable condition from a working shop. This is where you buy a brand name for a decent price, but still probably pay more than you want to, but come away with a quality part that will last a lifetime. This is where I have had the most success getting excellent equipment used. Bang for the buck.

Used/classifieds/ebay- there are good deals for the patient, but it's always a gamble. There are chucks on ebay listed for tall stacks of cash that belong in the recycling bin. I've bought 4 chucks on ebay, and done good, but I am patient with my spending and exercise a high level of scrutiny, rejecting unrealistic prices and keying in on signs of wear, rejecting anything bellmouthed or obviously used beyond the sell-by date.

+1 on Shars. Their least expensive models (IIRC max 0.003" TIR) have been as-advertised as far as specs are concerned and work perfectly fine for me. Still worth disassembling and cleaning/lubing/deburring, but that's fairly easy to do; both of mine were not bad to begin with. They also have higher quality / more precise models or features like 2pc jaws are needed. So if you need it now: worth a look.

Shars' CS is good too - I had 1 backplate get pretty dinged up in shipping: very quick/easy to get a replacement.

I bought one Shars chuck and had to have them replace 1 of the 2 jaw sets, the chuck itself was ok
They were somewhat difficult to deal with, but I ultimately prevailed

We all like to help people spend their money. Before going down that rabbit hole have you determined why your chuck no longer holds the work tight? The fix may be as simple as truing up the chuck jaws or a good thorough cleaning.

Nothing wrong with getting another chuck. You can never have too many chucks. I have eight chucks and would like to find a couple more to add to the collection.

I agree with others here about determining why the chuck doesn't function properly. Many heavily used chucks suffer from bellmouthing. A couple of years ago I had a very nice 4 jaw chuck that suffered from this problem and just became an expensive paper weight. I decided to try my hand at grinding the jaws. I just fabbed up a mount from some scrap material to hold my die grinder in the tool holder, purchased an appropriate grinding wheel and went to work on it. It was a great learning experience for me, cost nearly nothing to do and that chuck is now my go-to chuck for most of the work I do. Your chuck is useless as-is, so you really don't have much to lose by trying to fix it. Photo attached of my home brewed grinding set-up.
Ted
IMG_20200423_142358916.jpg

Talvare,
You are right about the chuck being junk the way it is.....Once I get the drive belts changed on the machine I will be looking into your cure for this problem......Thanks for everyones feed back...
Have fun,
buckshot

Back