Repairs to cast iron

The way I look at it is the part is already broken so it's not like it could get any worse either the brazing works and I have a fixed part or it doesn't work and I'm left with what I started with, no biggie.

I think brazing is the way to go. If something goes wrong (misalignment or whatever) just reheat, knock/shake the brazing material off, and try again. Worst case you have some extra bronze colour on it, but that can be ground and painted over.

I gonna give it a shot though just gotta prep the material get some flux and some ni99 rod (correct me if I'm wrong)

As Greg said, just bronze brazing rod for brazing. Many (most?) come with a flux coating.

I believe that the higher temperature of welding greatly increase the risk of cracking on cooling (thermal expansion/contraction stress).

That cover looks thin, is there enough clearance on the back that you could braze a couple small rods or short pieces of small dia. all-thread back there? It might add some extra support/strength.

-brino

to echo others...
if you are going to repair, brazing is the way to go.
coated LFB (low fuming bronze)

Why? because is very convenient, relatively inexpensive and is suitable for use in these repairs.

on the cover:
if you can, dress the fracture on both sides to somewhere around a 45* angle and reassemble
add supports and clamp it up to keep alignment of sections
braze the areas and remove clamping elements as soon as possible
allow the assembly to cool slowly

on the gear:
i'd construct a gear tooth blank from steel or cast iron
cut out bad tooth
insert blank, and braze into place
let cool slowly
re-cut tooth profile, (this could be done with diligence and a file)
an angle grinder could speed up the forming process, so that less milling could be required if the gear teeth are large

i wish you the best of luck in the repairs

Last edited:
Preheat to 400. Use good rod and plenty of flux. After you are done brazing it, wrap it in a fireproof welding blanket and let it cool slowly over night. Next day grind off and smooth out the excess and you should be good to go.

@Ulma Doctor when you say gear tooth blank do you mean cut a tooth into a piece of metal then braze that tooth onto the gear? I never thought of that and I also didn't know it could be done with a file! Which is great to hear since my machines are still down until spring time at the earliest...
@brino that's a good idea and i may have just the perfect piece of scrap in mind to go in that spot!

@Ulma Doctor when you say gear tooth blank do you mean cut a tooth into a piece of metal then braze that tooth onto the gear? I never thought of that and I also didn't know it could be done with a file! Which is great to hear since my machines are still down until spring time at the earliest...

Hi Izzy,
yes sir, that is exactly what i mean.
you can produce a tooth blank and braze it into position.
the machining (filing) generally follows that step to keep the position of the gear tooth contact correct, should the tooth may be leaning to one side or the other

it will be a time consuming process, but it is completely doable

Hi Doc, Iam a real fan of sending this kind of work out to a fellow here in Washington that specializes in repairing cast iron parts. You could call Cast Iron Repair, in Smokey Point, Washington. Might actually be Burlington, WA in the phone book. The owners name is Mike. Here is his phone number: 360.657.7660. He has been doing cast iron welding exclusively since the late 1960's and really knows his stuff. Last guy doing this west of the Mississippi I've heard.

you will have some significant risks with brazing. Mainly, if you use to much heat, or to concentrated a flame, you will burn through the edges of the parts. Cast iron melts like butter when you exceed the heat threshold, and big worm holes ensure. So watch your flame, carefully.

Second thing, you must absolutely clean up the edges, so you are dealing with fresh cast iron - sand blasting clean is best.

also, cast iron cracks after 'welding' because often people don't use enuf preheat, OR post- heat. So, you will need to bring the whole piece up to cherry red heat and hold it at that temp for more than 15 minutes. Half hour might be better. Then after completing your operation, hold the part at post heat red for another 15-30 minutes, then keeping it hot, very gradually cool down by wrapping in the fire blanket method, or burying completely in hot sand, overnight.

The ideal method for heating is to use two weed burners, one on each side of the part, with the heat reflected back into the part by a simple three sided fire block furnance, open on the front end, but closed on the bottom, right and left, and back sides. Cracking happens due to inconsistent heating and improper cooling, where the granular structure cools inconsistently - producing internal stresses that eventually - crack. This is a very slow process compared to any kind of stick or tig work on mild steeel. using two burners and a simple fire brick furnance, plus extended cooling down, will really mitigate those internal stresses, and greatly reduce cracking.

As others above have mentioned, Brazing is OK for closing up small cracks and filling voids. but the proper way is to fill and weld the broken area with a similar iron filler.

If you decide not to go through with brazing yourself, you could send Mike the parts via UPS flat rate and he likely will return them to you same way in under two weeks. At least that is my experience. ive taken him five different cast iron parts off machine tools and have had superb results, every time. As you can tell, Iam a big fan. Mike has fixed everything from machine tool castings to piecing back together fractured and broken engine blocks. One was a $15 Mill antique 1930's race car motor - Bugatti or similar- that someone forgot to drain the water out of. The engine froze and cracked into three or four pieces one winter. As it was irreplaceable, the owners sent Mike the bits and pieces and he returned a functioning motor to them. For the small stuff I've taken him, usually I can't tell where the break was when I pick up the repaired part. Sometimes, as in welding through a dovetail, or making a tooth in a gear, you will need to machine out excess filler from around the repair. but with cast iron there is no heat hardening of the material, and the iron machines readily. So anyway, highly recommended. BTW usually he charges me $100 for the kind of work you described in your first post. Last piece was $200, but involved a bit more set up and the afore mentioned dove tail repair meant welding and filling through both sides of a larger rectangular broken 3 HP motor motor mount, that broke along the dovetail after a horizontal mill fell over. So more shop time. Anyway, the plate now looks good as new. Iam confident he would repair your parts to as new condition, should you decide to send to him.

Regards
Glenn

i'd construct a gear tooth blank from steel or cast iron, cut out bad tooth, insert blank, and braze into place

when you say gear tooth blank do you mean cut a tooth into a piece of metal then braze that tooth onto the gear?

Keith Rucker also has a two-part video on adding a gear tooth:
-the idea is the same, though probably on a larger scale,
-he uses other machine tools to do it!

-brino

I actually haven't seen that video yet! I honestly wouldn't have known that would be an option. I guess at this point it might be easier to do that as I could trace the tooth off another gear and make sure they're relatively the same before brazing.
I gotta say this forum really inspires greatness and I probably wouldn't have the ambition or even known how to try this myself if it wasn't for all the positive responses I've gotten from the group thanks alot guys I'll post up some results as soon as I give it a shot!

Soo here's what I got, its not very pretty but the 2 pieces are stuck together lol
I'm gonna grind a V down to the braze from the other side and get a little more practice in before I attempt brazing any gear teeth or the steady rest...IMG_20170126_140909.jpg

Back