Repair/rebuild Duracraft 1600 Dp (was: Drill Press Shopping With $200)

Anopsis

Registered
Registered
I have $200 in Christmas cash to spend on a drill press. Only light hobby stuff; I have a 1983 Duracraft 1600 that the motor died on, so I need to replace it with something inexpensive. I'm currently looking at the Craftsman ZJQ4116D which is a 12" press, for $199:

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-12inch-drill-press-with-laser-and-led/p-00934985000P

I noticed I could get this 13" with a larger motor from HFT for $259.99, minus a 20% coupon, making it $207.99:

http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-16-speed-bench-drill-press-38142.html

Now, being the utter rookie I am regarding the world of drill presses, what's my better choice? Also, if my local HFT store doesn't have the CM press, it's an extra $14.95 for them to ship one in.

Suggestions, folks? I would appreciate it.

Why not just replace the motor?
Inexpensive replacements should be available.
Perhaps the save the $ for a HD DP with a magnetic starter.

Daryk
MN

I considered that, but I'm unsure about the general condition of the press. I last used it 10 years ago (or so) and it's been sitting in storage. Lots of rust and missing handles here and there; I haven't checked to see if there was any runout as when I last used it I wasn't interested in machine work and only used it when I needed to make a simple hole. I guess I just assumed it wouldn't be worth putting $$ into. Is that an incorrect assumption?

Here's a bunch of pics I took last night:

http://s820.photobucket.com/user/anopsis/library/Drill Press

I cleaned the bird's nest out and I can easily rotate the belt by hand, so the motor isn't locked up. It worked the last time I used it. Anyway, I just thought I'd be better off starting over, but I'm listening.

Last edited:
I have owned far too many Crapsman products over the years.
Every once in a while I get seduced into buying another.
All I can say is that I have NEVER been happy with a single Craftsman tool I have ever owned. Not one. I hate each and every one of them, and I hate myself each and every time I use one.

At least Horror Fright does not pretend to be any thing other than what it is.

Does it need to be a floor model? I have a little benchtop drill press that I use in the metal shop. I have a big Jet floor model in the woodshop and I have never needed for metal working projects. I would be tempted by the little Enco one if I was shopping for one now.

Everything I was/am looking at, including my existing ancient model, are benchtops. I don't need a floor-standing model.

Are you sure the motor is bad & not just a switch? I had trouble with one of the Taiwanese ones I had. The switches aren't the greatest. Check the capacitor too.
Other than that, I'm still using one I got ages ago & it works fine. Replacement motor shouldn't be spendy either, should it need replacing.
Doubt the runout on that new Craftsman would be any better either.
Mark

I'm going to start poking around tonight with my DMM and see if I can find where the current flow stops. I've been unpacking in my new workshop since we moved three months ago, so if I can find my magnetic base and dial indicator I'll try to check runout too.

I would tune that one up! To me it looks very decent for an import of that vintage.
Looks to be pretty stout. Idler pulley design shows some thought, as does the table.
I'd replace that switch with a double throw toggle.
I'd love to have a rack and pinion like yours on the column of my Duro and Spunger, neither
has one and it is a PITA to raise or lower the table.
The knobs and handles that are missing won't be to hard to replace.
Measure up the shaft for the Pinion and post it. I've got some misc. handles floating around here - somewhere.

Completely depends on the work you do.
If you want slower speeds and all the bells/whistles you'll might need to drop more than $200.
Consider patching this one together. Even quill play/runout is in the eyes of the user what may be way to much for you is great for a general fab or garage guy/gal for $100 who occasionally wants a hole.
Add the $100 to the $150 you have left. Then you've got a happy garage guy/gal and another $50 closer to the $500+ you need for the big metal DP.
Completely depends on what your long term goals are.

Daryl
MN

Ah, that reminds me. Remove that chuck and get a decent one.
Check the runout on the taper when you have it off. You may find out that it is the chuck.
On my benchtop radial Craftsman it got a whole lot better when I upgraded the chuck.

Back