Removing Stress

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I will be making a couple of webbed angle plates from 12mm hot rolled steel.
They will be welded up with triangular webs.
I realise that the welding will distort them slightly.
Whats the consensus with getting them red hot in the furnace and soaking it for some minutes then allowing them to cool slowly as a means of removing any residual stress that may be in them.
Do you think its even necessary.
They will be faced in the lathe after this by Dave Gingery's method.

I would try something similar on scrap material and measure before and after to see how much difference it makes, then apply your findings proportionally to your intended material and project. I would be interested to know what you find.
Good luck!

You are welcome, once a month or so I turn 304 stainless parts from laser cut sheet that range between 8" and 24" in diameter with O-ring face grooves, counterbores, holes and tapers, some of the features finish at .060" thickness which will not remain flat after machining from a 3/8" plate. Most all of the drawings stipulate flame cut stock stress relieved before machining.

You could bolt them together with counter sunk socket head cap screws. Mill a shallow slot for the gussets to set in. I had an angle type fixture made that way.

.........Whats the consensus with getting them red hot in the furnace and soaking it for some minutes then allowing them to cool slowly as a means of removing any residual stress that may be in them.
Do you think its even necessary...........
If you put them out in the hot Texas sun we are having here right now, they will be stress relieved in a couple of days!

May I ask how big the weldment will be?

The base plate is 100mm square, the vertical face is 120mm high
angle-plate.jpg
to become part of this
angle-plate2.jpg
I have the original angle plate from my first attempt at building a vertical slide (but its not dead square) that uses a soft small cast aluminium slide.
This version is in steel and the larger front slide will have a matrix of threaded holes to allow a multitude of fixtures (I hope)
The base plate is 100mm square so it can fit onto the cross slide in either orientation.

Back