Removing quick change gear box

gonzo

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
HELP!

I need to remove my sb9a qcgb because the output gears when engaged lock up the machine. However the right hand mounting screw is partially obscured by the head casting.

See photo

Seeking any input into how to remove this . Hopefully by someone who has done it.

MVC-025L.JPG

Not exactly sure but, I think the head stock assembly needs to come off to do it.
There are SB owners here that do know for sure........

When I put my 10L back together I ground away a fairly small amount of the headstock wall next to and above the head of the flathead bolt to be able to remove that bolt without removing the headstock should I ever need to in the future. This was not my own idea but came from someone's account of their own disassembly/reassembly of their lathe. The amount ground away does not go through the wall of the headstock on a 10L but it wouldn't actually hurt anything if it did (it actually looks stock on my lathe). It was quite easy to do with the lathe disassembled, but looking at your photo I suspect that with some VERY careful grinding with a Foredom or Dremel tool or a very small die grinder--protecting the way from the grinding stone--you might be able to do it without removing the headstock. If I were you I'd probably go ahead and remove the headstock, though, and grind the relief with it apart so you'll be ready if you have to remove the gear box again.
.gear box bolt.jpg

Back