Removing Bronze Sleeve Bearing

old toolmaker

Registered
Registered
I have a Toro drill press quill the two
identical sleeve bearings, one on each end. Are there any suggestions on how to remove these bearings. Once the first one is out I will have no problem reaching the other one.

dick

Not familiar with that press but this is how I removed some difficult bushings before.

sometimes i'll cut them with a cape chisel or warm the housing and pound them out with a long rod with a sharp, flat face.

For long reach I have actually used all thread, just put something on the one end to lock the nut, (double nut, glue, weld, or something) then have fun cranking. I have also used a piece of pipe and larger washers or plate on the other end to allow room for the bushings to be pressed out in place of a socket or something. It all depends on the size and how long they are. If it is going to be a lot of torque or take a lot of turning, then I have added a bearing thurst washer or a set of greased washers to give the nut ability to turn without binding as much. YOu would be surprised at what you can press out with this type of system.

Not familiar with that press but this is how I removed some difficult bushings before.

Thanks for the solution you have offered. I like the slide hammer method as I have two blind bushings to remove. the bushings are in a counter-bore which is about 3/16" deeper than the bushing so I can in behind the bushings with this method. It will just be a bit of work making the expanding collet and a home made slide hammer. This is a one off job and will probably not have to be repeated in my lifetime.
Thanks again. This forum is great and all the answers are valuable.

Dick

It's the best method for blind bushings and why I took the time to make one. If you need any close-up pics of my expanding collet (design wise) I can provide them to you, but that's all I could find at this time. The sliding hammer is easy (some All Thread and a sand, or shot filled piece of pipe w/caps) or a HF cheapo.

Those are ok, but they do not hold well or at lest the one I tried didn't, like they did not get hardened and tempered properly.

those type always seem to not have enough bite and come off bearing races very easily.
they may work better with oilite or bronze bushings than hardened alloys

Back