Removing a Jacobs Chuck

papermaker

Active User
Registered
I just bought a 1/2" Jacobs chuck that is on a #2 morse taper. I want to remove the #2 morse taper to put the chuck on a #1 morse taper. How do you get it off?

Most are either friction fit, screwed in, or permanently attached to the chuck. Do you have the make and model of the chuck?

If the chuck is on a Jacobs taper in the chuck, it is easy. You grab the arbor is a vise between soft jaws. The arbor should be about flush with the top of the vise jaws. Take a block of wood and lay it on the jaws with one edge up against the chuck. With one had loosely hold the chuck, and with other hand take a good stout hammer and give the block of wood a good solid biff. The chuck will be driven off the taper. Be sure to catch it so it doesn't hit the floor.

Keith

Hi. Most, if not all chucks mounted on Morse taper shanks have "Jacobs" a taper on the chuck end. Try the
U-shaped wedge/pickle fork routine. In order to have something to wedge against, do it while it's mounted in the machine spindle. You may have to use additional spacers. Then again, it might have threads inside the chuck, in which case, it's also best to disassemble while mounted in a machine spindle.
Check out this site. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/archive/index.php/t-15768.html
Art

Before investing a lot of time and effort, make sure you can get the proper MT-1 arbor to fit the JT in the back of the chuck, if indeed it is a JT. Otherwise, you may end up re-machining the JT to fit the chuck. Or possibly the wiser course would be to find another chuck already set up with the proper size MT.

Just food for thought.

In the case where there isn't enough of a shoulder on the arbor to get the u-shaped wedges up against, Jacob's recommends drilling a hole through the arbor near the chuck to create a fixed point to wedge against.

I have 2 chucks and one arbor I've had to do this with, but jacobs hasn't steered me wrong yet!

Full details on removing all kinds of Jacobs chucks here.

http://www.jacobschuck.com/drill-chuck-install.asp

In the case where there isn't enough of a shoulder on the arbor to get the u-shaped wedges up against, Jacob's recommends drilling a hole through the arbor near the chuck to create a fixed point to wedge against.

I have 2 chucks and one arbor I've had to do this with, but jacobs hasn't steered me wrong yet!

Full details on removing all kinds of Jacobs chucks here.

http://www.jacobschuck.com/drill-chuck-install.asp

I looked on there website and there is good tips for getting it off! Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Some of the 1/2" chucks already have a hole in them from the factory. You can open up a bench vise just enough to let the arbor fit between the jaws, double up a shop rag so the chucks can rest on it on top of the vise jaws, then use a 3/16" punch through the chuck and rap it a few good times. The punch will have to be smaller than a 1/4" because IIRC, the thru hole is right at a 1/4"

Back