Remington 700 BDL 243. Patterns all over the place

I had one that I added a flat washer between action and stock on the screw holding the stock on. Took out MOST of the inaccuracy. A lot of people glass bedded the wooden stocked 700's, and a lot needed nothing.

Wonder if the barrel was rebored to something, like 7mm -08, and the barrel was not restamped? Would still chamber .243, but would not touch grooves.

A 243 will have serious throat wear after 12 to 1500 rounds, It is known for being a barrel burner. If you bought it used there's no telling how many rounds have been shot out of it. Buy yourself a bore scope, They are inexpensive these days.

A worn throat will cause accuracy issues due to the worn throat tearing the jackets as they pass through causing instability and bad accuracy. As John mentioned twist is very important and older guns tend to have slower twists and modern ammo has heavier bullets available these days, Some people just don't know that heavier bullets need faster twists. Although I was glad to see some of the companies started put the required twist rates on the boxes.

Pickup some Cerrosafe and make a cast of your chamber. The process can seem a little daunting ,but just follow the instructions and you'll be fine.
Another thought,have you checked the alignment of your scope bases ,making sure they are not putting bind on the scope itself?
I still have a few 700 actions in one of my safes waiting to be built into rifles again.

Pickup some Cerrosafe and make a cast of your chamber. The process can seem a little daunting ,but just follow the instructions and you'll be fine.
Another thought,have you checked the alignment of your scope bases ,making sure they are not putting bind on the scope itself?
I still have a few 700 actions in one of my safes waiting to be built into rifles again.
Be careful not to let the cerrosafe flow up into the lug recesses in your action or you'll be spending some quality time getting it out. Easier to do than you might think, especially if you try pouring it from a bag with a cut corner, as a lot of people do.

GsT

Have you borescoped the barrel? Did you buy the rifle new or used? As others have indicated the .243 is a "barrel burner".

Back