Relining a forklift brake drum - is it possible? Concerns?

One thong to consider is that many pieces of industrial equipment used off the shelf parts. I had a Case 450 Bull Dozer that used a simple Master cylinder just like an old Ford. I just went down to the Auto Parts store and looked through their inventory till I found one that matched. Your brakes may be more common than you think.

Another thing that might work is a disk brake conversion kit for boat trailer hydraulic surge brakes. Or you can take that concept and use auto parts and disks made of steel plate.

The rest of the brake system components do seem to be relatively common British parts. The wheel cylinders are similar to those used on a Morris Minor (among others), except that they have a 1 1/8" piston, rather than 3/4". My main supplier has new seals on the shelf for those so that part should be easy so long as I can gone them and get a decent finish. The master cylinder, too, is a common unit from what I can tell so far.

The disc brake conversion is not an option in this case, as there is not nearly enough room.

Thankfully it won't be necessary though, as I've just finished machining the drums (quite literally - packed up about an hour ago) and was able to get an acceptable surface at .190" oversize, which left plenty of material still. I suspect that for the limited amount of work that this machine will do that there should be at least another decade (or probably two) before it needs any further attention to the brakes after this rebuild.

Thank you all for your input thus far. I've no doubt I'll need to call upon it again in the future.

Cheers,... Jon.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

Back