Reid Surface Grinder

Jason Annen

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
As part of a deal I just made, I am getting a Reid model 612 surface grinder. Don't know much about it, it works and has an electro magnet. I am told it weighs over 1500 lbs with a cast steel base.

Anything to look out for, specific to these machines? Won't get it till next weekend.

Jason

I doubt that it weighs 1500 lbs, I got a 618 a year ago and it was about 600-800. If it has been in use for several years, you will need to take most of it apart and clean out all the sand and grinding dust. Trust me, that stuff will get into every part of that grinder. If it has an oiling system, make sure all the lines are not plugged. Depending on the age, it might have a timing belt instead of a gear rack. If the belt needs replaced, they are relatively cheap.

Reid grinders are pretty stout, lots of cast iron. I would not be a bit surprised if it weighs 1500+ pounds. Make sure you understand how to transport a surface grinder. It can easily be ruined in transit by a lack of understanding. If it has slide ways, metal on metal like a milling machine, it is not so much of an issue, but it is still best if the table is removed for transport. If it has roller or ball bearing ways, then it is critical that the table, and preferably the balls/rollers are removed as well. The table will get dinged by the balls, and the balls can get damaged as well. Then your new machine is essentially junk. It is common on surface grinders that the table simply lifts right off the machine, only held on by gravity. Take the table off and stash it safely for transport so it does not get damaged or even possibly fly off the machine. You might want to take the mag chuck off as well, to make the table lighter to remove. Also, some surface grinders will be found not bolted or well attached to the base, again, sometimes just gravity holding it together. Watch out for that. Lower the spindle down onto a block of wood placed on the saddle so that the precision vertical feed screw and nut are not damaged by bouncing in transit. Finally, surface grinders are top heavy and will tip over very easily. Think out carefully how you are going to lift it and load (and unload) it. Sometimes it is better to take the grinder off the base even if it is bolted solidly.

Congratulations! Reid made very nice surface grinders.

Edit: I see I responded to an old thread and you already have the grinder. Well, maybe someone else can use the advice...

Last edited:
It's on ways. It was moved without issue. Once it warms up, I'm going to tear it apart and go through it, for now it's just parked in the shed.

IMG_20151129_135349329.jpg

Back