Regulating band saw speeds

Actually, it is just real traditional. My vert bandsaw sets on a stand that could be it's twin. I have a 4" wood jointer on another stand that looks just like it as well. Those stands were the norm back when those machines were made.

Maybe I can find it in an old Sears catalog?

Well I'll hang on to it for you. Maybe one day I will have a change of heart and send it.

Actually, it is just real traditional. My vert bandsaw sets on a stand that could be it's twin. I have a 4" wood jointer on another stand that looks just like it as well. Those stands were the norm back when those machines were made.

Uncle B.. you know.. the more I think about I, why would I want to put it on that base and be limited to cutting wood, when I can put it on the cool stand and have plenty of room to slow it down with a countershaft, and in the mean time put it together as is (I got the new tires on) and cut wood! What was I thinking ?.. you hinted to keep it on the stand a few posts back :) Your right (again!) The coolness of it is that you made me realize is worth making room for it!

Uncle B.. you know.. the more I think about I, why would I want to put it on that base and be limited to cutting wood, when I can put it on the cool stand and have plenty of room to slow it down with a countershaft, and in the mean time put it together as is (I got the new tires on) and cut wood! What was I thinking ?.. you hinted to keep it on the stand a few posts back :) Your right (again!) The coolness of it is that you made me realize is worth making room for it!

In honesty I spend a lot of time looking at the restored machines over at www.owwm.com the pictures and stuff over there always motivates me to retain as much of the old as is reasonable in my old machines. Surprising how nice old machines can look on their period correct stands. I love the vintage machinery.

In honesty I spend a lot of time looking at the restored machines over at www.owwm.com the pictures and stuff over there always motivates me to retain as much of the old as is reasonable in my old machines. Surprising how nice old machines can look on their period correct stands. I love the vintage machinery.

Needed to cut some nylon rods today and decided to reconfigure the Power King on the original stand. I made some better mounting hardware, reversed the motor direction and spent time making adjustments. Got it tracking good and tried to cut some 2 X 4.. Wouldn't cut.. the force of the piece was pushing the blade off.. hmmm dull blade? Sharpened it with a drimmel tool.. Cuts like butter :) What a cool saw.. thanks Buck for making me see the light.. That stand is cool (and versatile) :)

IMG_2344_zpsb81dc6ba.jpg

IMG_2343_zps635be4d6.jpg

IMG_2342_zpsd5a71898.jpg

I'm thinking of putting the other motor underneath and use a counter shaft to get the speed down to be able to cut metal. I will keep the other motor on top for cutting wood.

IMG_2344_zpsb81dc6ba.jpg

IMG_2343_zps635be4d6.jpg

IMG_2342_zpsd5a71898.jpg

IMG_2344_zpsb81dc6ba.jpg

IMG_2343_zps635be4d6.jpg

IMG_2342_zpsd5a71898.jpg

Last edited:
Ya know you might even like the stand more if you fit a piece of plywood between the bottom of the saw and the top of the slats the machine is setting on. Many guys did that too. Just another thought. If you need to route a belt to another motor below simply cut a little window into the plywood and routhe the belt through there.

Ya know you might even like the stand more if you fit a piece of plywood between the bottom of the saw and the top of the slats the machine is setting on. Many guys did that too. Just another thought. If you need to route a belt to another motor below simply cut a little window into the plywood and routhe the belt through there.

I was thinking about the plywood.. good to hear it was something that was done. I have had a lot of fun with that saw :)

Sounds like another project to add to the list :)

which includes..

Getting familiar with using my Atlas lathe.. I am deff a beginner
86 Tourglide in pieces, rebuilding the flywheels.
SB 10L in pieces..cleaning and painting.
'76 Tri Bonneville.. bought all the pieces but need to tear i down to paint the frame.
vintage Craftsman drill press to pimp up.
and the poor old '50 Chevy truck.. body in pieces since '91

IMG_2346_zps6c49861d.jpg

IMG_2345_zpsf2adefae.jpg

plus all the other other stuff :)

IMG_2346_zps6c49861d.jpg

IMG_2345_zpsf2adefae.jpg

IMG_2346_zps6c49861d.jpg

IMG_2345_zpsf2adefae.jpg

Boy can I relate to that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I also have way to many irons in the fire and unfinished projects myself!

After having the Power King for a few weeks, I realize that even if I converted it to metal, it would be limited.

Found this for 90.00. Just what Im looking for! I heard that the Taiwan versions of this saw were decent.. I'm Excited!! (or should I be? is this junk?)

I guess the Power King has to go to make room though..

Ad descibing it:

Used and working metal bandsaw. Semi automatic. Can angle cut materal 0-45 degrees, up to 4 1/2" thick. Just clamp in the pipe/bar/stock, lower the arm, turn on the power and it will cut on it's own, and shut offs automatically when the cut is finished. Saw has 2 wheels so it can be rolled around your shop/garage. 110V

HorBandsaw_zps5aa7bc92.jpg

HorBandsaw2_zps249be3c4.jpg

Last edited:
Back