Regarding dials

If you have a quick change tool post the number stamps fit nicely inside the holders. Use the set screws to hold it in line vertically but allow it to move, and your finger to hold it into the side of the holder. Set the stamp on center with the holder height adjustment , set the tool post in line with the work, put the part in the chuck and give the stamp a whack. You can wrap a piece of tape around your chuck with your number spacing measured out on it with lines and use a pointer in a mag base. Turn your chuck to align the pointer to the lines and you have a poor mans index.

Why didnt I think of that. I want to thank everyone. I did try the shop press with a piece of junk not bad although it spit out should have used a V
block. These are for the shaper, and dials are real close to a SB lathe. again no real need, just more like putting white wall tires on it. Right now I only
have the .005's as far as the .001's thats a challenge I just cant see them even with that helmet spy glass thingy; old school way of pointing a sideways
hss into the known dial, then scribing the blank on the lathe using carrage stop for lenght and thread stop for depth of lines. thats the easy part !!!

Last edited:
I have done this task with a Gorton 3U pantograph engraving machine, using a forming block to achieve the radius; the pin on top of the spindle follows the former and allows the spindle to ride up and down under spring pressure against the forming block. It can also be done without a forming block if one has a roll attachment, which rotates as you are engraving each character in turn; you can actually engrave all around a diameter. I once made a rotaty steel stamp in this manner; I have one of these in my shop at home; they can be lots of fun and don't take up too much floor space.

Back