Regarding dials

GK1918

Active User
Registered
This has been written before about numbering dials. This is not my thing, I cant bang a nail never mind a metal stamp. Anyone got a better way.
Or does anyone make 3M stick on numbers. I really dont need numbers, been threading for years without them cause I cant see them. Now I have great big dials polished and painted increments red. Suppose I can use the shop press I already can see problems with -0-s or any no. except maybe a 1.
I never had luck with stamps. (only stamps work is the kind you lick)

Anyone got a better way.

GK1918, Check around your local area for someone that does laser engraving, i.e. trophy shop, jewelry shop. I just went to Google Maps and entered "Dighton Massachusetts+laser engraving" and quite a few popped up that you could call. I was planning on doing this locally, think they were going to charge like $40 per dial... but the dial could be as big as I wanted. Good luck...

I recently came across a site showing how to precisely stamp numbers into a shop made cross feed dial, after engraving the lines, a fitting was used that fitted in the tool post which had two slots at right angles, one slot held a number punch at the centre line, the other was wider to stamp two numbers above and below the c/l close together, it was turned around to suit one or two numbers a required, so corresponding to the degree marks. it used square shanked punches.

I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it, web history's not got it either...must try harder!

Bernard

I recently came across a site showing how to precisely stamp numbers into a shop made cross feed dial, after engraving the lines, a fitting was used that fitted in the tool post which had two slots at right angles, one slot held a number punch at the centre line, the other was wider to stamp two numbers above and below the c/l close together, it was turned around to suit one or two numbers a required, so corresponding to the degree marks. it used square shanked punches.

I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it, web history's not got it either...must try harder!

Bernard

I think that post was on here. I remember reading it and making a jig based on it to do a straight rule I made. Hey, caveBob do you have an example of the engraved version you were talking about. I'm having a hard time envisioning it.

Jeff

Edit/update I think this is the post I was thinking about http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...als-and-Stamping-the-s?highlight=number+stamp Some of the images are missing.

If you have a quick change tool post the number stamps fit nicely inside the holders. Use the set screws to hold it in line vertically but allow it to move, and your finger to hold it into the side of the holder. Set the stamp on center with the holder height adjustment , set the tool post in line with the work, put the part in the chuck and give the stamp a whack. You can wrap a piece of tape around your chuck with your number spacing measured out on it with lines and use a pointer in a mag base. Turn your chuck to align the pointer to the lines and you have a poor mans index.

...do you have an example of the engraved version you were talking about. I'm having a hard time envisioning it.

They use rotary laser engravers to mark all kinds of stuff, pretty sure they can control the depth to a point too. Basically, they can use whatever font you want for the numbers & cut the graduation lines however you want, i.e. 100 divs, 200 divs. Generic pic found at google pics:

dial01.jpg

I slightly changed the search term to include "Dighton Massachusetts+rotary laser engraving" and found someone that ought to be able to handle it pretty easy. (no idea what they would charge) Check some of the pics on the link below:

Dighton Massachusetts to Focal Point Technologiesmore = 30 miles:

http://www.fptlasers.com/commercial--industrial-laser-marking.html

Focal Point Technologiesmore
24 Aldrin Road
Plymouth, MA 02360
(508) 830-9716
fptlasers.com

...hth...

dial01.jpg

I know a guy that is (or was recently) set up to do all sorts of engraving. Both round surfaces, and flat. Some of you guys with CNC mini-mills just need to add a 4th axis and you can do it on round stuff like dials. If anyone wants to follow up on my friend, I'll chase his number down. He's in Houston, but mail is cheap. And so are his prices.

Back