Redressing Drill bit sharpening grinding wheel?

Qmavam

Registered
Registered
I have an older B&D drill bit sharpener, it needs a new stone, but after much searching I don't see any available. So I want to try and dress the stone.
It has a taper from outside to the center. The stone in my picture looks coarse, but the picture is deceiving, it actually glossy. impregnated with iron particles and smooth.
I'm looking for was to improve the stone. I have a wheel dresser, but it is to large to fit in this wheel. I'm will to disassemble my dressing wheel and remove a wheel to use on this stone. So, I'm asking for advice on this little repair.
Thanks, Mike
P.S. looks like you need to click on picture to see it all.

Attachments

• Drill sharpener and Stone.jpg
    Drill sharpener and Stone.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 43
That looks like it would work well for grinding the whole wheel at the same time, so I could keep the proper angle.
Thanks, Mike

A couple of nights ago, a pal of mine treated me to a drill sharpening session for all my drill bits, using his "Drill Doctor" tool.
Imagine, a yellow 235V to (about) 115V construction site step-down transformer, a short lead with plug and twin US-style socket box, and said machine. (We are in UK). Looking under, I noticed the quite small grinder was diamond impregnated metal. There might just be scope for a relatively easy conversion for your tool. A diamond disc is about $10 bucks.

Your sharpener is a different style, I think using the "side" of the wheel. I don't know what might be involved in getting a diamond wheel to adapt / fit, but one can get wheels in many sizes and arbor hole diameters. You just need a support disc behind. This one is 4"
diamond disk.jpg

Here --> eBay Diamond Disc

You can get the T-shaped dresser tool in quite wide versions, 2 inches or more. From experience of them, I caution about the dust. It's very fine, and gets everywhere! Don't breathe it, and never let it get in your eyes!. Cover what you can. Limit where the stuff can go go.

diamond dresser.jpg

Your post has prompted me. This is something I have to do for my bench grinder, before I offer any more HSS at it. :)

Old thread , I know but ... I just picked up the same model sharpener at a yard sale for a buck . It runs but the stone is worn , and leaves a different angle at the outside edge of the bit . I too have had trouble finding a replacement ... but I think I can dress this one using a diamond point on my lathe . Might also be possible to reproduce the original stone from a suitable off the shelf stone this way . I'll need to pull the top off (again) and see just what part of the stone is cutting .

Back