Recommended Tooling Kit?

nessimibrahim

Registered
Registered
Can anyone recommend a god tooling kit for a mill I'm gonna be getting a pm-25mv and want to be ready when the time comes. Don't mind spending 300-400 as long as it's worth it. figured in buying a kit I'd save a bit of money or am I wrong?

QMT offers a milling starter pack, It is what I started with, along with some ends mills when I purchased my PM932M. You may want to contact Matt and see what he can put together for you. Have him ship it with your mill and you can save additional shipping charges also.

Jim

• Milling Starter Package $179.95
(52 Pc Clamp Set, 4" Precision Milling Vise, 11Pc. R8 Collet Set)

I was thinking about that one but was also looking at the ones Littlemachineshop offers they have quite a few options just don't know which would be a good all around choice. Also they are local to me so I could just do a pick up and not worry about shipping.

Initially, get a set of endmills (cheap ones work fine to start with). Also pick up a couple single endmills that are the largest your machine (or collet set) will hold. (in addition to the one your endmills set comes with). You will find that most of your work will use your biggest endmill and you will appreciate the spare when the one in the set gets dull. Later, get better quality endmills as you need new ones.

It has worked for me.

Rick

I completely agree with what Rick said, start off with the HSS endmills first, there's no sound worse than the crunch of a busted off carbide bit How do I know this? Well......

In my planning for the late April arrival of my PM25MV, I've started assembling the tooling I think I will need. I sprung for the vise/clamping and collet set for starters. I've also purchased from FleaBay an R8 key-less chuck and R8 2" boring head and tools. I'm on the lookout for used R8 tool holders, (I was taught that collets were for work holding, not tool holding. Collets depend on friction to hold the tool, tool holders have set screws.) I'm planning a plate to put on the mill surface that can be pivoted to 1, 1 1/2, 2 degrees etc. angles, planing ahead to long tapers, part of my tooling for the production I'm involved in. (so far I've done them by scribeing a line and filing to it. I'm also on the lookout for small, 1/8 to 3/8 end mills.
I know there are other needed items, but my 30 years in toolmaking has supplied a lot of them.

You guys are great and alot of what i've been hearing when it comes to milling is all objective like you would when build a PC, and so on forth. What would be best for squaring aluminum?

For me it seems almost endless, first one clamping set, then another, then a boring head, and an angle plate, etc etc. I think that's one of the things that makes it so fun, cool new gadgets that allow you to do more things.

Back